Monday, 13 February 2017
Friday, 10 February 2017
I have heard of rice vermicelli cooked with canned stewed pork. And it seems to be many children's fond memories of their mothers' comfort food. Unfortunately, this was not in my mother's menu, so I've never tasted this dish 😮
I knew some mothers cooked this dish in rice cookers. However, maybe I didn't use the right key words to search, I failed to find a detailed recipe from the web. Based on those available recipes which cooked over the stove, I decided to try my luck to cook this dish in a rice cooker using my intuition 😌
Fortunately, I finally was able to put together every ingredients, including an omelette, all done in a rice cooker 😁 The noodle was soft and moist, except a little under seasoned 😅
200g brown rice vermicelli
1 can stewed pork chop, 256g
250g cabbage, julienned
30g carrot, julienned
1 tsp fried shallot crisp
1 tsp milk
1/4 tsp low salt fish sauce/light soya sauce
1 tbsp rice wine
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1/4 tsp pepper powder
1/4 tsp dark soya sauce
1 tbsp low salt light soya sauce
1/4 tsp salt
Cut coriander leaves
Cut spring onion
1. Soak rice vermicelli for about 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Mix all the seasoning ingredients together and set aside.
4. Open the can of stewed pork chop and skim away the top layer of oil. Remove the bones and break the meat into smaller pieces. Keep the sauce for later use. Set aside.
5. Beat egg with milk and fish sauce till foamy.
Turn on the "Steam" function of the rice cooker. Heat about 1 tsp of oil in the pot. When the oil is hot, pour in the egg mixture. Turn over the omelette to fry the other face till slightly golden.
When the omelette has cooled down, cut into strips and set aside.
6. Continue with the "Steam" function of the rice cooker. Pour about 2 tsp of oil into the pot and drop in the fried shallot crisps. When the fried shallot crisps are fragrant, pour in the cabbage and carrots.
Stir-fry for 1 minute, close the lid for about 3 minutes to soften the vegetables. Stir the vegetables occasionally.
7. When the vegetables have softened, stir in the stewed pork chop sauce
the stewed pork,
the rice vermicelli,
the seasoning mixture from (2),
Turn off the "Steam" function of the rice cooker, give the ingredients a good stir, close the lid and turn on the "Keep Warm" function of the rice cooker for 10 minutes.
Stir the ingredients after about 5 minutes into the "Keep Warm" function.
After the "Keep Warm" phrase is over, continue to let the contents simmer for another 10 minutes or till it is ready to serve. The contents can be kept warm for about 1 hour or more in the rice cooker 😀
8. Serve warm with the omelette strips and garnishing ingredients. Enjoy 😋