A delicious buttercream sandwiched bun that you can enjoy it cold. Biting the crunchy sugar grains embedded in the buttercream is what makes this bun special 😍😋
Yield: 8 cold buns
Baking temperature: 200℃ for 5 minutes, 180℃ for 12 minutes
Ingredients200g bread flour
10g superfine wholegrain flour/top flour
1/2 tsp pumpkin powder, optional
7g milk powder
2g instant dry yeast
35g raw cane sugar
2g low-sodium fine salt
20g water roux details in Step 1
20g beaten egg
90g cold water
20g rice bran oil/mild flavour vegetable oil
5g water, to be added during kneading depending on dough condition
Directions1. Mix 3g bread flour with 2g glutinous rice flour in a heat resistant cup.
Pour 25g warm water into the flour mixture, and blend well.
Stir the content over low heat till the content reaches about 65℃, or till thickens into a glossy translucent water roux.
Cover with cling wrap, and cool down before use. Set aside.
|The water roux gave the bread the moist and springy texture|
Knead at Speed 1 to mix all the ingredients together. Increase the Speed to 5 and knead for about 3 minutes. Cover and let the dough rest for about 30 minutes.
Knead at Speed 5 for about 12 to 15 minutes, or till reaching window pane stage.
Slap the dough about 20 times into a smooth dough.
2. Transfer the dough to a big mixing bowl greased with a little oil. Cover with a lid and let it proof for about 80 minutes or till dough in size.
End of first proofing.
3. Invert out the dough onto a well floured work top. Deflate the dough and divide it into 8 portions.
Shape the individual dough into balls, cover with a lid, and let them rest for about 15 minutes.
4. Take a dough and roll out into a flat dough of about 0.5cm thick.
Roll both the shorter ends toward to center.
Pinch to seal.
Shape into a short roll dough.
This step is optional. Use a chopstick to impress 4 lines onto the dough.
Arrange the shaped dough on a non-stick baking tray dusted with a little bread flour.
Keep the shaped dough in a cold oven to undergo second proofing for about 85 minutes, or till the dough double in size.
End of second proofing.
5. Transfer the shaped dough out of oven, and start to preheat the oven to 200℃ for about 10 minutes.
6. Brush a coat of egg wash over the surface.
7. Bake at 200℃ for 5 minutes, reduce the temperature to 180℃ and bake for about 12 minutes, or till the buns turn golden.
End of baking.
8. Transfer the buns to cool down over a wire rack.
While the buns are cooling down, prepare the crunchy-sugar butter cream.
Crunchy-Sugar Butter CreamIngredients
80g salted butter, slightly softened
25g raw cane sugar
25g condensed milk
1. Whip the slightly softened butter till light in colour. Add in the raw cane sugar,
and condensed milk.
Mix till the ingredients are just well combined.
Assemble the bun1. Slice the bun waist-wise into a butterfly shape.
2. Spread of sugar buttercream over the cut face.
Close back the bun.
3. Wrap in individual plastic bags and refrigerate the buttercream sandwiched buns.
4. Thaw the bun for about 15 minutes before enjoying it 😋