I adapted another wonderful recipe from Sharon's blog <爱厨房的幸福之味> again. It's a super light banana cake in great flavour of both banana and coconut milk :)
Yield: one 15cm diameter round cake
Cake mould: 6" round mould, 7.5cm tall
Baking temperature & time:
Preheat oven to 170 degree C.
Bake at 170 degree C for 40 minutes with upper heating only
Lower to 150 degree C for another 20 minutes with both upper & lower heating.
All ingredients in room temperature
Using 55g eggs
40g coconut/vegetable oil 椰油/植物油
50g top/cake flour 低筋面粉
25g coconut milk 浓椰浆
50g banana paste 香蕉泥
3 egg yolks 蛋黄
1 egg 全蛋
1/8 tsp salt 盐
3 egg whites 蛋白
35g fine sugar 细砂糖
1. Line a 6" round cake pan with a small piece of parchment paper if you are using a fixed base cake pan. This is to facilitate removal of cake from the pan.
You may omit this step if you are using a 6" removal base cake pan.
2. Blend banana with coconut milk Set aside.
3. Loosen the flour using a hand whisk. Set aside.
4. Heat coconut/vegetable oil till you see convection current starting to appear at the bottom of the oil (about 70 to 75 degree Celsius).
Do not over heat the oil as we don't want to fry the flour.
5. Remove the bowl of hot oil from the stove, add in the flour and stir till smooth paste formed.
Let the cooked dough cool down for 5 minutes before adding to egg batter.
8. Add the cooked dough from (5) to (7). And mix into a smooth batter.
9. Mix in a pinch of salt. Cover and set aside.
10. Beat egg white till frothy, for about 30 seconds. Add in the sugar, in 3 batches.
11. Beat at medium high speed at the start and reduce to low speed towards the end of the process. Beat the meringue till almost reaching the stiff peak stage. The standing meringue has a slight dip at the tip.
12. Scoop about 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter at (9). Fold to mix.
15. Place the cake pan in a tray of 1cm-deep hot water.
Steam-bake the batter in a preheated oven set at 170 degree Celsius with only the upper heating coil for 40 minutes at lower rack of the oven.
After 40 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 150 degree Celsius and turn on both upper and lower heating, for another 20 minutes.
If the cake brown too fast, cover it with an aluminum foil.
End of baking.
The cake is done if it stops rising for about 5 to 10 minutes.
16. Remove the cake with pan from the oven and drop it from a height of about 8cm to prevent the cake from shrinking after cooling down.
You can keep the cake in the oven and let the remnant heat dries the cake exterior for about 20 minutes.
17. Slice the cake after the cake has cooled down.
Keep the cake in an air tight container and refrigerate it. The cake tastes better if serve chilled :)
Recipe adapted from a good recipe shared by Sharon's blog