The new generation rice cooker is able to do more than rice cooking. With good temperature control and timer, it can work like a pressure cooker to cook food to soft, yet retaining its form and moisture. The Philips Avance rice cooker has a thick base inner pot which works like a couldron, good in retaining heat and keeping temperature constant.
By utilizing the soup functions of the rice cooker, it can help to free up your stove by taking care of slow-cooking dishes :)
Yield: 3 adult servings
3 chicken thighs
5 button mushrooms
1 russet potato
1 carrot, peeled & cut into chunks
2 large size tomatoes
16cm celery stalk , peeled & sliced
1 yellow onion, peeled, cut into strips
1 slice ginger
3 cloves garlic, sliced
2 tsp raw sugar
1 tsp light soya sauce, low salt
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
A few twigs of coriander leaves
1. Peel and cut potato into 2cm-cubes. Rinse and soak with salt water for about 15 minutes.
2. Roast button mushroom in oven toaster at 150 degree Celsius for 10 minutes to bring out the aroma of the mushroom.
3. Peel and cut tomato into chunks.
4. Rinse and pat dry chicken thighs. Coat with a little salt and black pepper.
5. In a medium hot pot, pour in about 1 tsp olive oil. Wait for the oil to become hot, add in ginger and garlic to fry till frangrant. Then add in the onion to fry till soften.
6. Add in raw sugar, follow by light soya sauce, and wait for them to bubble.
7. Add in the thighs and let them cook till the meat turn slightly whitish.,
8. Drain away the salt water, and add the potato chunks into the pot. Let the ingredients cook for about 2 minutes.
9. Add in the roasted button mushrooms celery slice, and tomato chunks. Stir-fry for about 2 ~ 3 minutes at medium heat.
10. Pour hot water to cover about 1/2 of the height of the ingredients in the pot. Cover with a lid and wait for the ingredients to boil.
11. When the water starts to boil, off the heat and transfer the hot content to a rice cooker. Select "soup function" and 1-hour cooking time. Close the lid and start the slow-cooking process.
You can continue to let the ingredients simmer at low heat in the pot for 1 hour.
12. When the rice cooker "beep" indicating the completion of the cooking process, open the lid and add in the tomato paste, dark brown sugar, salt, black pepper powder and seasoning powder according to your prefer taste.
Close the lid and let the content simmer for 30 to 60 minutes using the remnant heat of the rice cooker.
10. Transfer the stew out into another pot, and garnish it with coriander leaves.
Serve with warm rice. Enjoy :)