A delicious dish with tender pork ribs and mushroom, as well as sweet gravy to pour over your steamed rice ^^
Yield : 3~4 person servings
500~550g pork ribs
6 shiitake mushrooms, soaked
1/2 bulb yellow onion, chopped
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp preserved salted soya beans, mashed
1 tbsp rock sugar
Salt to taste
2 tsp dark brown sugar
2 tsp rice wine
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp dark soya sauce
A few shakes of pepper powder
1. Rinse shiitake mushrooms and soak in hot water for about 20 to 30 minutes. Cover and set aside.
After the mushrooms have completely soaked, remove the mushroom stems and keep the mushroom water. Set aside
2. Rinse pork ribs and marinate with only rice wine and raw sugar for about 15 to 20 minutes.
After 15 to 20 minutes, pour in the rest of the marinades. Mix well, cover and set aside for about 30 to 60 minutes.
3. Heat up a tbsp of olive oil in a pot. Stir-fry the chopped garlic till golden. Then stir in the chopped onion. Stir fry till fragrant and onion slightly soften.
4. Add in the salted soya bean paste and continue to stir-fry till fragrant.
5. Add in the marinated pork ribs and soaked shiitakes mushrooms, stir-fry till the exterior of the ribs are cooked.
6. Pour in the shiitake mushroom water and hot water to a height of about 4/5 the ingredients' height. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to simmer for about 20 minutes to an hour.
The longer the simmering time, the softer will be the ingredients.
7. Towards the end of the simmering, add in rock sugar and salt. The rock sugar helps to give the dish a glossy look.
You can replace the rock sugar by sugar.
8. Finally, add some starch water to thicken the gravy. Sprinkle some cut green scallions and chinese coriander leaves and serve with warm rice 😋