Yield: 4 braided breads in one 20 cm square pan
Raw dough weight:
Baking temperature: 160℃ for about 25 minutes
Ingredients180g bread flour
20g top/cake flour
25g fine sugar
1/4 tsp fine salt
2g instant dry yeast
120g cold milk
15g condensed milk
20g beaten egg
20g unsalted butter, softened
5~8g melted butter
30g raw sugar
some red, blue and yellow food dyes
1. Knead the dough using a stand mixer till reaching window pane.
2. Shape the dough into a ball and keep in an lightly oiled bowl.
Spray some mist over, cover with a lid, and let it proof for about 60 minutes or till double in volume.
This step is optional
3. While waiting, take 2 portions of 8g raw sugar, and mix it with red food dye and green food dye separately.
invert out onto a floured work top.
Deflate the dough, and divide it into 4 portions.
Shape into balls, cover with a lid, and let them rest for about 15 minutes.
5. Take one of the doughs, and roll it into an oval flat dough.
Roll up from the longer end,
into a rope.
Cover with a lid, and let the dough rest for about 10 minutes.
6. Line a 20cm square baking pan with parchment paper.
7. Take a long dough, roll and stretch it into a rope about double the length of the 20cm square pan.
Hold one end, and roll or twist the dough till you feel the tension in the dough rope.
let the two ends meet, the dough rope will automatically form into a twist.
Place the twisted dough ropes in the prepared pan.
brush with some melted butter,
cover with a towel, and let them proof for about 80~90 minutes.
or till the dough almost filled up the pan.
Preheat the oven to 160℃ for about 10 minutes.
While waiting, sprinkle the coloured sugars and the remaining raw sugar to the dough.
8. Bake at lower rack of a preheated oven at 160℃ for about 25 miutes, or till the bread turns golden.
9. Let the bread cools down slightly before serving 😋