It all started after I bought a packet of candy cheese which was individually wrapped in transparent candy wrappers.
The candy-size cheese was wrapped in milk dough and topped with crunchy butter crumb. The bread crumb was only crunchy when the bun was still warm.
|Crispy butter crumb when fresh from oven.|
Yield: 9 small buns
Baking temperature: 200℃ for 5 minutes, 180℃ for 10 minutes, turn off oven power for 2 minutes.
Butter Crumb Toppings
10g coarse raw cane sugar
10g fine sugar
1/8 tsp low-sodium salt
5g milk powder, optional
10g unsalted butter, cold
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. Mix all the ingredients with cold butter into fine crumbs using a fork.
Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
Milk Bread Dough
180g bread flour
20g top/cake flour
20g fine sugar
2g fine salt
100g cold milk
10g condensed milk
2g instant dry yeast
15g beaten egg
20g water (to be added during kneading)
20g unsalted butter, softened
9 pcs candy cheese
1. Pour 100g of cold milk and 10g condensed milk in a small bowl, and sprinkle 2g instant dry yeast over the surface. Cover and rest for about 15 minutes without stirring the content.
2. Mix all the remaining dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, before adding the wet ingredients, but excluding the butter and 20g of water. Stir in one direction till all the ingredients form into a ball, adding water as necessary. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes before kneading.
3. After kneading the dough into a smooth dough,
spread out the dough, and knead in the softened butter.
Continue to knead till reaching window pane.
4. Roll the dough into a ball,
place in a lightly greased big mixing bowl, spray some water over the dough, cover with a lid. Let the dough proof in room temperature for about 75 minutes or till double in size.
5. Invert the dough onto a floured work top, deflate the dough, and divide into 9 portions.
Shape into 9 balls and let them rest for 15 minutes.
6. Roll out a dough into a flat dough. Place one or two cheese cubes in the centre.
|single cheese cube|
|Or double the cheese portion 😉|
Arrange the shaped dough on a non-stick baking tray with good spacing in between.
Let the shaped dough proof in a close oven for about 45 minutes, or till double in size.
7. Preheat the oven to 200℃ for 10 minutes. While waiting, brush the shaped dough with beaten egg.
and sprinkle butter crumb over the top.
Bake at middle rack of a preheated oven at 200℃ for 5 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 180℃ and bake for 10 minutes. Off the oven and let the buns sit in the oven for 2 minutes to brown the butter crumbs.