This is a short-cut in baking a strawberry flavoured milk bread with cranberry bits. No fresh strawberry is needed, just a small cup of strawberry yogurt and a small bottle of low fat strawberry milk. I can bake my strawberry bread all year round as long as there are supplies of these two strawberry products 🍓
The colour of the ingredients were carefully selected to play down the yellow tone, so the bread would not turn orange but appear more pink.
The crust of the bread was scored to resemble the strawberry dotted skin. Although this was an extra step, it made the appearance more apt to the strawberry theme bread 🍓. Do you agree? 😁
A short video of my strawberry yogurt cranberry bread 🍓
Yield: one long loaf
Pan size: 23x13x6 cm
Raw dough weight: 583g
Baking temperature: Preheat oven to 190℃ for 10 minutes, bake at lower rack, at 180℃ for 15 minutes, lower to 170℃ for 10 minutes, off oven and bake for about 5 minutes.
230g bread flour
25g superfine wholegrain flour
40g fine sugar
3g instant dry yeast
pinch of vanillin powder, optional
50g natural yeast/sourdough, 100% hydration*
100g strawberry yogurt, cold
50g low fat strawberry milk, cold
20g condensed milk
1 drop red food dye, optional
15g egg white
25g water, cold, to be added depending on dough condition
3g low sodium salt
30g unsalted butter, softened
30g dried cranberries
Some beaten egg as egg wash before baking
* 50g natural yeast can be replaced by 25g each of bread flour and water + 1/8 tsp instant dry yeast. Let the mixture stands for about 1 hour or till double in volume, before use. You can also keep the mixture in the fridge overnight and thaw it for 1 hour before use.
1. Mix strawberry milk, condensed milk and red food dye in a small glass. Set aside.
2. Soak the dried cranberries in hot water for about 1 minute. Drain and cut into smaller bit. Set aside.
3. Knead the dough following your preference method.
For my method, you can refer to my recipe Golden Milk Bread. After kneading the dough to window pane stage,
|Mix the dried ingredients before adding the liquids|
|Add strawberry yogurt with strawberry pulp|
|Mix into a lump.|
Add softened butter
|Perform about 500 sets of "slapping & folding"|
|Reaching window pane|
Shape the dough into a ball, spray some water over, cover with a lid, and let the dough proof for about 60 minutes, or till the dough double in size.
End of 60-minute proofing 👇
4. Invert out the dough onto a floured work top, deflate the dough, and shape into a ball again.
Let the dough rest for about 15 minutes.
5. Roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1 cm.
Flip over, so the smoother side will be facing out after rolling up. Spread cranberry bits from Step 2 over the dough.
Roll up the dough into a log shape.
Place the dough into a non-stick pan coated with butter. Spray some water over, cover with a cloth, and let the dough proof for about 45 minutes, or till double in size.
End of 45-minute proofing.
6. Preheat the oven to 190℃ for about 10 minutes. While waiting, brush a coat of egg wash over the dough, about 5 minutes before baking.
Use a small pair of scissors to snip a series of short cutting over the top of the dough.
7. Bake the shaped dough at lower rack of a preheated oven, lower the temperature to 180℃ after closing the oven door, and bake for 15 minutes. Further reduce the temperature to 170℃ for 10 minutes. Turn off the oven, and let the bread bake for 5 further minutes.
8. Remove the bread from the oven, remove from the pan, and cool over a wire rack.
9. After the loaf has completely cooled down, slice the loaf and enjoy the bread with spread of butter 😋 No strawberry jam needed 😍
Note: if you add 2 drops of red food dye, you will get a darker tone red.
|Left: 1 drop🔴 , Right: 2 drops 🔴|