The cake was topped with chopped pistachio and fine bits of fresh lemon rind. You needn't have to tell people this is a lemon flavoured cake, as the lemon scent tells them itself 🍋🍋😍
Despite the relatively high liquid content, the cake crumb was surprisingly fine and soft. In another words, this is not a butter-laden cake. Definitely not greasy 👍👍
"Copycat Starbucks Lemon Pound cake"😘😘😘
As I was only left with about 1/4 of a lemon in the fridge, so I use Suntory Vitamin C.C. Lemon carbonated drink to substitute part of the lemon juice needed in the recipe. There's no lack of lemon fragrance in this cake😀
Yield: one cake
Pan size: 17.5x10x9 cm Jamie Oliver 1L cake pan
Baking temperature: preheated oven, middle rack, 170℃ for 45 minutes, off oven and bake for 5 minutes.
There are 4 components in this recipe: lemon pound cake, lemon syrup, lemon icing, and toppings.
1. Lemon Pound Cake
All ingredients in room temperature
Using Omega 3&6 eggs, 54~57g
Original recipe ingredients and quantities have been denoted in blue print or ( ).
To avoid confusion, just follow the black print of the ingredient list.😉
90g unsalted butter, softened in room temperature
70g (130) fine sugar
60g (0) raw sugar/fine sugar
140g plain flour plus*/plain flour
3g baking powder
6g (0) milk powder, optional
1g (2) low-sodium salt
80g low-fat milk/milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
30g lemon carbonated drink ^
3g lemon rind, chopped finely
10g lemon juice added to 80g milk to substitute 90g buttermilk
1.5 tbsp lemon juice
^ I combined the 10g + 1.5 tbsp lemon juice of the original recipe, and replaced it by 30g lemon carbonated drink
* Plain flour plus is plain flour added with 25% of superfine wholegrain flour
1. Grease a 17.5x10x9 cm cake pan with butter. Set aside.
You may line the pan with parchment paper for easy un-moulding the cake.
2. Mix plain flour plus, milk powder, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Mix fine sugar and raw sugar in a cup. Set aside.
4. Add 1 tsp of vanilla essence to low-fat milk. Set aside.
5. Loosen butter using an electric handheld mixer before adding sugar mixture from Step 3. Beat the butter cream till light and fluffy, about 6 minutes at medium speed.
6. Blend in two eggs, one at a time.
7. To prevent the butter cream and eggs from separating, blend in about 2 tbsp of flour mixture from Step 2 using the hand mixer.
Sieve in about 1/3 of the remaining flour mixture, and fold in using a silicone spatula.
8. Blend in the vanilla milk mixture from Step 4.
Sieve in half of the remaining flour mixture.
9. Blend in the lemon carbonated drink.
Sieve and fold in the balance flour mixture.
10. Finally, fold in the 3g chopped lemon rind.
Mix into a smooth batter.
11. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan from Step 1.
Bang the cake pan to level the batter and to get rid of trapped air bubbles.
12. Bake at middle rack of a preheated oven at 170℃ for about 45 minutes. Turn off the oven heating, and let the cake simmer for about 5 minutes. Check the doneness of the cake before removing from the oven to cool down.
13. Let the cake cool in the cake pan for about 20 minutes.
While waiting, proceed to prepare the glazing syrup in next part of this recipe.
Invert out the warm cake and rest on a cooling rack.
2. Lemon Syrup
30g (50) lemon carbonated drink (lemon juice)
15g (3 tbsp) raw sugar (icing sugar)
1. Mix the two ingredients together till the sugar melted.
2. Brush the lemon syrup over the entire warm cake surface, except the base. Need not finish all the syrup.
3. Allow the cake to cool down before proceeding to prepare the lemon sugar icing.
3. Lemon Icing
80g (90) icing sugar
3g (15) lemon juice
10~15g (0) lemon carbonated drink
3g (4) evaporated milk (whipping cream)
1. Mix all the ingredients together into a smooth paste.
Add the lemon carbonated drink slowly and check on the consistency of the icing closely. The consistency of the sugar icing should be able to flow down smoothly without breaking, and thin enough to smooth out on its own within 15-20 seconds.
2. Pour the lemon icing over the cake crust, and allow it to flow down the sides of the cake.
Proceed immediately to next step before the icing dries out ❗❗
4. Lemon & Pistachio Toppings
3 to 4 g shelled pistachio nuts, chopped to fine chunks
1g lemon rind, finely chopped
Sprinkle the chopped pistachio nuts and chopped lemon rind over the cake before the icing dries up. The cake is done. Hurray 🙌😍😍😍
Cut the cake after the icing has dried up. Enjoy 😍😍😋😋😋
Thank you Suntory for the complimentary 6 cans of Vitamin C.C. Lemon carbonated drinks and Ribena products 😘😘😘