A light coffee milk chiffon cake baked in a regular pan. The cake remained soft, springy and moist despite the long baking hour and with only 20g of butter :)
Yield: 6" round cake
All ingredients in room temperature
Using 55g Omega 3&6 eggs
3 egg whites 蛋白
40g fine sugar 细砂糖
3 egg yolks 蛋黄
15g fine sugar 细砂糖
20g unsalted butter 无盐奶油
50g coffee fresh milk 咖啡鲜奶
55g top/cake flour 低筋面粉
1 tsp cocoa powder 可可粉
1. Line an 6" round cake pan with a sheet of parchment paper at the base. Set aside.
2. Sieve top/cake flour with cocoa powder twice. Set aside.
3. Combine coffee fresh milk and unsalted butter in a bowl. Keep warm in a rice cooker for about 10 to 15 minutes to melt the butter.
Set aside to cool down before use.
7. In a clean and grease-free mixing bowl, beat egg white to frothy, then starts to add 40g of sugar gradually. Beat at high speed till almost stiff peak state.
Reduce the mixer speed to low in the last minute. Set aside.
8. Add about 1/3 of the meringue to (6) and mix well.
9. Pour (8) back to combine with the remaining meringue. Fold to combine into a smooth batter.
10. Pour the batter to an ungreased 6" round cake pan lined with parchment paper at the base.
Lightly bang the pan against the work top to remove any trapped air bubbles.
11. Bake in a preheated oven at 140 degree Celsius for about 35 to 40 minutes.
When the cake rises close to the rim of the pan, about 35 minutes into baking, turn up the oven temperature to 170 degree Celsius. Continue to bake for about 15 minutes, or till the cake height slightly reduce.
After the temperature increases, the cake will continue to rise, then at certain point , it will start to shrink slightly.
12. Remove the cake from oven and drop from a height of about 10cm to a cloth 3 times. This is to prevent the cake from excessive shrinking. Invert the pan immediately over a wire rack to cool down for about 25 minutes.
13. Remove the warm cake from the mould to prevent condensation at the base.
To dry out the sides, return the cake on a wire rack to the warm oven for 15 minutes.
Recipe adapted from:
with appreciation :)