Cucumber and ginger-garlic chilli sauce are the indispensable side dishes of the popular Hainanese chicken rice. Some hawkers take an extra step to provide the customers with cucumber salad. However, not every hawker can prepare a good cucumber salad that suit my palate. I would prefer the salad to have a refreshing lemon juice to the strong vinegar taste 😋
Recently, I have been preparing this easy cucumber salad before I went out to buy the chicken rice home. By the time the chicken rice reached home, the cool cucumber salad was just nicely marinated to go with the rice 😁
1 Japanese cucumber/kyuri, cut into chunks
2 cm carrot, peeled & julienned
1 very small clove garlic, finely chopped
Some lemon zest
1/2 tsp roasted sesame seeds
1/4 tsp fine salt
1/2 tsp raw sugar
2 tsp lemon/lime juice or vinegar
2 tsp raw sugar
1. Marinate the cucumber chunks and julienned carrot with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp of raw sugar for about 15 minutes.
2. While waiting, prepare the chopped garlic, and some lemon zest. Set aside.
3. Drain away the liquid collected from the cucumber.
4. Mix in the 2 tsp raw sugar, chopped garlic, lemon zest and lemon juice.
5. Finally, stir in some roasted sesame seeds, mix well and transfer to a clean and dry glass container.
6. Refrigerate till you get home with your yummy chicken rice. Enjoy (^^)