An ordinary butter cake with added swirl of mocha flavour.
I love butter cake that don't require one whole block of butter. Though more butter gives the cake a richer flavour, it makes one feel guilty after eating. Therefore, usually I would go for butter cake that has less than 200g butter in the ingredient list. Like this recipe - only 110g of butter. Yeah \O/
Love the pattern. Love the velvety texture <3
Pan size: 25x10x6cm narrow base loaf pan
IngredientsAll ingredients in room temperature
20g whipping cream/fresh milk
20g condensed milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
110g unsalted butter, softened
100g fine sugar
110g top/cake flour
15g milk powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp instant coffee powder
1/2 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp hot water
1. Mix whipping cream, condensed milk and vanilla extract in a cup. Set aside.
2. Mix and loosen top/cake flour, milk powder and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Mix instant coffee powder, cocoa powder and hot water into a smooth paste in a small bowl. Cover and set aside.
4. Beat the eggs for a few minutes using a hand whisk.
5. Loosen the softened butter using a hand whisk, then add in the fine sugar.
The butter is soft but not glossy on the surface. If glossy, return the butter to the fridge for a few minutes.
Whip the butter till it becomes pale. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes using a hand whisk.
6. Slowly add in the beaten egg and blend well.
7. Sieve in the flour mixture from (2), and mix well. Avoid over-mixing.
8. Mix in the milk mixture from (1).
Give the batter a thorough mixing using a spatula.
9. Scoop about 2 tbsp of batter to mix with the mocha mixture from (3).
10. Pour the mocha batter into the butter batter. Use a spatula to mix briefly. Do not over-mix, or the batter will loose the swirling pattern
11. Pour the batter into a greased baking pan. Lightly bang to level up the batter.
12. Bake in a preheated oven at 170 degree Celsius, with only the upper heating, at lower rack of the oven for about 40 minutes.
After 40 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 160 degree Celsius, and turn on both upper and lower heating, and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or till an inserted cake tester came out clean.
Alternatviely, bake at 160 degree celsius, turning on both upper and lower heating, at middle rack, for about 40 to 45 minutes.
13. Transfer the cake to a cooling rack to cool down for about 5 minutes, before inverting out the cake.
Cover the cake with a paper towel to minimize lose of moisture from the cake.
After the cake has cooled down, cut and enjoy :)