Love this complete meal (at least to me) that is so simple to prepare. Need not to be exact in the ingredient quantities, and there is a great flexibility in the choice of vegetables, as long as they are easy to cook and do not contain too much water 🌽🍄🍳
The creamy centre is what I like most about this vegetable pancake 🍽😁
Servings: 1~2 persons
5g warm water
10g hot water
10g hot water
1 tsp glutinuos rice flour
50g cabbage, shredded
1 tbsp carrot, shredded
2 shiitake mushrooms, soaked & julienned
1 stalk spring onion, cut into short length
1 tbsp fresh black fungus, julienned
50g top/cake flour
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
70g bonito stock* or chicken stock
* I mix 1 tsp of higashimaru udon soup seasoning powder to 70g hot wate to make the stock.
1. Mix glutinuos rice flour with 5g of warm water.
When well combined, pour in 10~12g of hot water. Stir to mix till it becomes a smooth paste. Cover and set aside.
2. Mix top/cake flour with baking powder and salt.
3. Pour in the bonito stock and mix well. Avoid over mixing. Set aside.
4. Add in all the vegetables in a mixing bowl.
7. Heat up about 1 tbsp of olive oil in a non-stick 18 cm round pot at medium heat. Pour in the batter, use a spatula to spread even. Lower the heat.
8. Cover and wait till the the batter is almost 90% solidified. Flip over and cook the other face.
Insert a stick to check whether the pancake is cooked through.
10. Mix sweet chili sauce, tomato paste, with lemon juice and golden syrup. Drizzle over the top of the pancake. Cut with a pizza knife.
Updated post: 5 June 2018
During my recent trip to Japan, I found this cracker chips (so sorry I do not know the proper name for this ingredient 😟) and added it to the batter. An alternative would be to use prawn crackers. This ingredient helped to absorb the moisture released from the vegetables.
I mixed about 1 tbsp of sweet chili sauce with 1 tsp of honey citron tea and the juice from 1 small green lime to concoct the dressing. The chili-citron tea flavour really pair well with the pancake 😋