An all-natural orange agar-agar jelly prepared in 4 x 200ml pudding bottles for my family's light snacks. Occasionally, we can shift to sweet snack which breaks free from egg, flour, butter or oil. A light jelly which uses the natural flavour of the orange and pandan leaf, no artificial colouring and flavouring. And most important of all, freshly made on fresh ingredients 🍊😀
Prepared: 4 x 200ml pudding bottles of jelly
Ingredients1 large naval orange, about 356g
4g agar agar strips
1 blade pandan leaf, optional
50g raw sugar*
* Adjust the sugar quantity accordingly to your preference.
1. Rinse 4g of agar agar strips. Soak the agar agar for about 15 to 20 minutes.
As agar agar is a very light weight ingredient, although you measure 4g of agar agar strips, the final soaked quantity can vary from 16g to 23g.
If you prefer a softer texture, measure the agar agar to 3 g first, then slowly increase to 4g.
If you prefer a more firm texture, measure the agar agar to 5g then gradually reduce the agar agar to 4 g.
I prefer a softer texture to scoop, so I adopted a lesser agar agar quantity. Cut the soaked agar agar into shorter length to facilitate it to dissolve during cooking.
2. Wash the orange using Fruit & Vegetable Wash to remove any residual chemical on the skin.
Peel a long orange skin to boil with the water.
3. Pour 300g of water into the pot, and keep the 200g of water to be added later.
4. Bring pandan leaf, orange peel and 300g to a soft boil. Cover the pot to prevent water lose.
5. Cut some orange peel into thin strips, and place at the bottom of the pudding bottles. You can skip this step if you do not like the peel.
6. Cut out the orange flesh into wedges. Keep in the fridge till needed.
I collected about 135g of orange wedges.
7. When the water starts to boil, pour in the cut agar-agar, stir occasionally till all the agar-agar dissolved.
Add in the raw sugar, stir to dissolve.
Finally, pour in the 200g of water and mix well.
8. Pour about 4 tsp of agar-agar solution to each pudding bottles.
Refrigerate for about 15 minutes to harden the agar-agar solution.
9. Take out the bottles, and fill them with orange wedges and the remaining agar-agar solution.
Let it cool down to room temperature before transferring to the fridge to cool further.
10. Serve it cold 😋