I love the nice unique citrus aroma of the mandarin orange peel. To extend my supply of the mandarin orange peel, I kept them in a plastic bag and store in fridge. Therefore, even after the supply of the mandarin oranges has ended after the Lunar New Year, I still can continue to bake this nice butter cake. To compensate for the missing mandarin orange juice, I used the easier available Yuzu packet drink 😜
Yield: one loaf of cake
Pan size: 21.5x11.5x5.5 cm
Baking temperature: 180℃ for 5 minutes, 150℃ for 30 minutes, and 170℃ for 5~10 minutes to tan the crust.
IngredientsAll ingredients in room temperature
Using 55g Omega 3&6 eggs
100g unsalted butter, softened
10g plain yogurt *
95g caster sugar
110g top/cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
15g yuzu juice drink
5g lemon juice
20g citron honey tea/golden syrup/honey
12g mandarin orange zest
* plain yogurt can be replaced by unsalted butter
Directions1. Remove the white pith of the mandarin orange peel, and cut it into fine bits.
Mix yuzu juice drink, lemon juice, citron honey in a small container. Use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut some of the long citron honey fiber into shorter length.
Add mandarin orange zest to the mixture and set aside.
2. Cream softened butter and plain yogurt with caster sugar till light and fluffy.
4. Fold in the sieved top flour with milk powder and baking powder.
5. Mix in the yuzu juice mixture from Step 1. Mix the batter till smooth.
Finally, use a spatula to make a more thorough mix.
6. Pour the batter into the loaf pan pre-coated with butter and dusted with some flour.
7. Bake at the middle rack of a preheated oven set at 180℃ for 5 minutes, reduce the temperature to 150℃ and bake for 30 minutes. Finally, increase the oven temperature to 170℃ and bake for 5~10 minutes to tan the crust.
8. Transfer the cake to a cooling rack to cool down a while.
When the sides of the cake shrink away from the wall of the baking pan, it is ready to be un-mould.
Wrap a sheet of cling wrap over the cake to keep the moisture in.
9. When the cake has completely cool down, cut and enjoy 😋