Nine golden cheese buns topped with crispy caramelised cheese crust and stuffed with melted cheese centre, baked in a square pan. I love brown cheese crisps and these buns really baked to golden to bring out the aroma of the browned cheese 😋
Yield: 9 buns in a 20 cm square pan
Raw dough weight: 452g
Baking temperature: Preheat oven to 200℃, bake at 200℃ for 10 minutes, 180℃ for 8~10 minutes.
5g bread flour
1. Mix and stir over low heat till it thicken into a glossy paste.
2. Cool down and collect about 25g for use later.
Cover with an inverted glass till needed.
10g bread flour
2g instant dry yeast
30g natural yeast *
* natural yeast can be replaced by 15g each of bread flour and water.
Mix all the ingredients and let it stands for about 60 to 150 minutes. You can shorten the duration to about 60 minutes. As I was busy with other chores, so let the sponge stood longer 😅
180g bread flour
30g Prima plain flour plus/plain flour
30g raw cane sugar
2g low-sodium fine salt
25g water roux from above
52g sponge from above
10g beaten egg
10g condensed milk
80g cold milk
20 cold water
3g salt, to be added later
20g unsalted butter, add after gluten formed
9 pcs Anchor Candy Cheese
Some beaten egg as egg wash
50~60g shredded cheddar cheese
About 2 tsp sugar grains/coarse sugar
Directions1. Mix all the dry ingredients, except the salt, in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer.
2. Add all the wet ingredients, except 20g of unsalted butter, into the mixing bowl.
When all the ingredients come together into a lump, cover with a lid and stand in room temperature for 15 minutes. This allows autolysis to take place.
Knead the dough at Speed 2 for about 3 to 5 minutes before adding salt slowly.
3. Knead the dough at low speed till it forms into a smoother dough. Add the softened butter and continue to knead till reaching window pane stage.
Give the dough about 20 sets of "Slap and Fold" till it forms into a smooth dough.
4. Transfer the kneaded dough to a mixing bowl coated with a thin layer of oil. Spray some water over, cover and let the dough proof for about 60 minutes, or till double in size.
5. Invert the dough onto a floured worktop. Deflate and divide the dough into 9 portions, shape into balls , cover and let them rest for 15 minutes.
6. Flatten the dough slightly, and wrap up a candy cheese as filling.
Pinch to seal at the end and shape into a ball.
Place the shaped dough in a 20 cm square pan lined with parchment paper. Spray some water and let it proof for about 45 minutes.
End of second proofing
7. Preheat the oven to 200℃. While waiting, apply a coat of egg wash over the shaped dough.
Sprinkle grated cheddar cheese and sugar grains over the top the dough.
Bake at middle rack of a preheated oven at 200℃ for 10 minutes, lower temperature to 180℃ and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or till the top has become golden.
8. Transfer the bread out of oven, and let the bread cool down slightly before consuming.
Serve warm 😋