I personally felt that this butter cake recipe, with the addition of milk roux, has a richer milk taste than my other butter cake recipes. Although the cake was moist, it did not have a damp base soaked with melted butter.
The superfine and velvety crumb was one of the drawing points of the butter cake to me 😍
Yield: one loaf of cake
Pan size: 21.5x11.5x5.5 cm
Baking temperature: 160°C at middle rack for 40 minutes.
Milk Roux50g milk
10g top flour
1. Mix the two ingredients and let them thaw to almost room temperature for about 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Stir the mixture over low heat till it thickens into a glossy paste.
3. After the milk roux has cooled to almost room temperature, transfer to a small dish. Cover with a tall glass to prevent the top from drying and forming a skin. Set aside.
Butter Cake BatterAll ingredients in room temperature
Using 56~59g Omega 3&6 eggs
140g unsalted butter, softened
About 1/8 tsp fine salt
100g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
Beaten egg from mixing one egg + 1 egg white
10g condensed milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
53g milk roux from above
132g top/cake flour
2g baking powder
1. Grease the cake pan with butter. Set aside.
2. Mix top flour and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Combine condensed milk and vanilla extract in a small dish. Set aside.
4. Cream softened butter, pinch of salt, and caster sugar till light and fluffy.
Add in one egg yolk and blend well.
5. Blend in the condensed milk mixture from Step 3.
6. Blend in the milk roux.
7. Fold in the sieved flour mixture from Step 2.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
9. Bake at the middle rack of a preheated oven, at 160℃ for about 40 minutes, or till golden.
10. Transfer the cake to a cooling rack to cool down for about 5~10 minutes, or till the sides of the cake shrink away from the wall of the baking pan.
Invert out the cake and let it rests on a cooling rack.