Another shortcut I took was to add a small amount of coffee oil to the batter as too much coffee powder would make the cake bitter. Although the coffee oil is an artificial food flavouring, a small amount to enhance the flavour of the food should be acceptable 😉
Yield: 7 to 8 cupcakes
Paper cup mould size: 5Dx4H cm
Baking temperature: Preheated oven at 160℃ for 25 minutes at middle rack
Using 55~57g eggs
All ingredients in room temperature
2 egg whites
pinch of salt
45g raw sugar
5g dark brown sugar/raw sugar
2 egg yolks
58g cake flour
2g wheat starch/corn starch
1g baking powder
1g instant coffee powder
1g cocoa powder
10g hot water
10g evaporated milk/milk
10g condensed milk/golden syrup
14g rice bran oil/mild flavour vegetable oil
1g coffee oil, optional
7~8 cubes The Laughing Cow Belcube, thawed
1. Dissolve instant coffee powder and cocoa powder in 10g hot water.
Combine the liquid coffee with condensed milk, evaporated milk, rice bran oil and coffee oil in a small glass. Set aside.
2. In a clean, dry and oil-free mixing bowl, beat egg whites with pinch of salt till foamy before adding raw sugar and dark brown sugar in a few batches. Beat the meringue till reaching firm peak stage.
Add the yolks, one at a time, to the meringue, and beat briefly till well combined.
3. Combine cake flour, wheat starch, and baking powder in a small bowl. Sieve 1/3 of the flour mixture to mix with the egg batter.
Add 1/2 of the coffee-milk mixture from Step 1 to the batter. Repeat the step with the rest of the flour mixture and coffee-milk mixture in alternating sequence, and ends with flour mixture.
Use a silicone spatula to do a thorough mixing into a smooth batter.
4. Pour the batter into either 7 or 8 paper cup moulds, and push a thawed cheese cube into the center of the batter.
Cover the cheese cubes with the batter, and arrange the filled cupcake moulds over a baking tray.
5. Bake at middle rack of a preheated oven at 160℃ for about 25 minutes, or till the crusts turn brown.
If you bake 7 cupcakes instead of 8 cupcakes, the crusts will be rounder
6. Transfer the cupcake to a wire rack to cool down.