|Rice cooker marble chiffon cake|
Yield: one 21cm round cake
90g All purpose flour
1/2 tsp double action baking powder
1 tsp cocoa powder
2~3 tsp warm water
4 egg yolks, room temperature
45g fine sugar
30g rice bran or vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
4 egg whites, room temperature
40g fine sugar
1. Mix all purpose flour and double action baking powder together. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, mix cocoa powder with warm water. Slowly add in water till you get a thick smooth paste. Set aside.
4. Add rice bran oil into (3) and mix well. Then follow by milk and vanilla essence. Mix well.
5. Sieve the flour mixture into (4). Use a hand whisk to fold in the flour. Set aside.
7. Add in the remaining 40g fine sugar and whip using an electric mixer at low speed till all the sugar well incorporated with the egg white.
Then beat the mixture at high speed till the egg white foam becomes shiny and stiff. When you invert the bowl, nothing will drip out of it.
8. Lightly coat the inner pot of the rice cooker with vegetable oil.
Preheat your rice cooker using 'Quick' mode for about 5 minutes. This will help to give the cake a golden outer crust later.
9. Take about 1/3 of the egg white and mix with mixture in (5). You may use the electric mixer or hand whisk to help you at this stage.
10. Pour the mixture from (9) into the balance egg white in (6). Use a spatula to fold and mix well.
11. Scoop about 1/4 of the batter to mix with the cocoa paste.
12. Pour the egg batter, then the cocoa batters into the inner pot of the rice cooker. Take out the pot and lightly tap it, to get rid of trapped air and even out the surface.
13. Run a chopstick round the batter to create the marble pattern. Avoid touching the base, as the batter close to the warm base may be semi-cooked.
14. Return the pot to the rice cooker and start the 'Cake' baking mode. The rice cooker needs about 40 minutes to bake the cake through.
DO NOT OPEN THE RICE COOKER DURING BAKING. This will cause the cake to collapse.
15. When the baking process is over, put a steamer in and invert the pot immediately. This will help the cake to keep its shape after cooling.
Elevate the pot to ensure good cooling process.
16. When the cake has cool down, run a soft silicon spatula round the inner pot to dislodge the cake. Cut and serve.