Yield: one 21cm round cake
Appliance: Rice cooker with "cake" function
90g All purpose flour
1/2 tsp double action baking powder
4 egg yolks, room temperature
45g Muscovado or brown sugar
30g rice bran or vegetable oil
40g trim milk, room temperature
1x 40cm pandan leaf, cut into small pcs
4 egg whites, room temperature
40g muscovado or brown sugar
1. Mix all purpose flour and double action baking powder together. Set aside.
2. Mix egg yolks, Muscovado sugar, coconut milk, rice bran oil, and pandan leaf, using an electric food processor or blender.
4. Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl and sieve in the flour mixture from (1). Use hand whisk to mix. Try not to over stir the mixture.
5. In a separate clean and oil-free mixing bowl, whip the egg white for about 1 minute at high speed or till soft peaks formed.
6. Add in the 40g Muscovado sugar and cream of tartar to the egg white, and whip at low speed till well combined.
7. Whip at high speed for about 2 minutes or till stiff peaks form. The egg white will become smooth and shiny.
Preheat your rice cooker using 'Quick' mode for about 5 minutes. This will help to give the cake a golden outer crust later.
9. Scoop 1/3 of the whipped egg white to mix with the yolk mixture in (4).
10. Pour the mixture in (9) into the remaining whipped egg white and mix well.
12. Start the baking by pressing the 'cake' mode of the rice cooker. The baking will take about 40 minutes to complete.
13. When the baking cycle has completed, place the plastic steamer into the pot and invert the pot.
14. Let the cake cool down before cutting to serve :)