350g Prime Ribs, 4 sticks cut into 8
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 big onion, chopped
Seasoning sauce ingredients:
40g low salt miso paste
2 tbsp mirin (sweet Japanese wine)
1 tbsp low salt Japanese soya sauce
~2 tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp dark soya sauce, to add colour
1/2 tsp potato starch mix with 1 tbsp water.
1. Wash and drain prime ribs. Pour boiling water onto the prime ribs, and let it submerge for about 1 minute, drain away the water, cover and set aside.
2. Heat up a pot and pour in 1 tbsp sesame oil on low heat. When the oil is hot, add in the chopped onion and sauté to soft.
3. Place the prime ribs in and pour water to cover the ribs. You can place a drop-lid onto the ribs if you have one.
Bring to a light boil and lower the heat. Simmer for about 1/2 hour.
4. Mix miso paste, mirin, soya sauce and sugar in a bowl.
Pour the seasoning sauce into the pot.
Bring to light boil, then lower the heat to simmer for another 1/2 hour. Cover with a lid partially.
5. Remove the prime ribs to a bowl and cover them.
Bring the gravy to a boil to thicken it. When the pot is left about 3/4 cup of the gravy, add about 1/8 tsp of dark soya sauce to enhance the colour.
Lower the heat and pour in the starch water. Stir regularly to form a smooth gravy.
6. Turn off the heat and return the pork ribs to the gravy to coat well. Leave the pork ribs in the gravy for about 10 minutes.
7. Serve with warm rice :)