Yield: one 8 inch ring loaf
200g bread flour
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
2 egg yolks (about 35g)
30g fine sugar
1/8 tsp salt
35g unsalted butter, softened
Beaten egg as egg wash
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together. Add in 65g of milk to the dry ingredients. The remaining 30g of milk to be added gradually to the mixture while kneading.
(Pic 1 to 3)
2. When the ingredients in (1) have been kneaded into a smooth dough, add in the softened butter.
3. Continue to knead until the dough can be stretched into a window pane.
(Pic 5 to 7)
4. Place the dough in a container lightly coated with butter. Spray a thin mist of water over the dough, then cover with a lid or food wrap. Allow the dough to proof for about 1 hour, or till it's size doubles.
(Pic 8 to 9)
5. After the proofing, sprinkle some flour over the surface of the dough. Invert out the dough to a surface dust with flour.
6. Compress the dough to release all the trapped air. Divide the dough into 9 equal portions.
(Pic 11 and 12)
7. Shape the dough into 9 balls and set aside.
(Pic 13 to 16)
8. Coat an 8 inch tube mould with a thin coat of butter. Then sprinkle a thin layer of flour over it.
(Pic 17 to 18).
9. Place the dough into the tube mould.
Spray a thin mist of water over the dough and allow the dough to proof inside an oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or till the dough increases to 1.5 time in size.
(Pic 19 to 23)
10. During the final 10 minutes of proofing, remove the dough from the oven. Preheat the oven to 190 degree Celsius.
11. Apply a thin coat of egg wash over the surface of the dough.
(Pic 24 to 26)
12. Bake the dough in a preheated oven with temperature reduced to 170 degree Celsius for about 20 minutes, or till the surface becomes golden.
13. When the loaf has been baked, transfer it to a wire rack to cool.