This is a small portion recipe which produces four egg custard tarts using a rice cooker to bake. The quantity is ideal for a family of four for a light tea break.
For quantity more than 4 tarts, baking in an oven would be a better choice.
Yield: 4 x 5cm round egg tarts
Using 60g egg
30g unsalted butter, softened
15g icing sugar
10g beaten egg
60g all purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp lemon zest (optional)
1/2茶匙 柠檬皮碎 (可不加）
Egg filling iingredients
35g beaten egg
20g fine sugar
Pinch of salt
1. Strain the lightly beaten egg before use.
2. Loosen the flour and salt by using a hand whisk.
3. Cream the softened butter till it becomes pale yellow. Add in the icing sugar and mix well.
4. Slowly add in the 10g (about 2.5 tsp) beaten egg and mix well. Followed by lemon zest.
5. Fold in the flour using an spatula till the mixture turns into a soft smooth dough. Shape the dough into a long cylindrical shape and wrap with food wrap. Let it cool in the fridge for 20 minutes.
6. While waiting for the dough to be ready, we can prepare the egg custard filling. Mix the remaining beaten egg (about 35g) with sugar and milk. Try to stir lightly to minimize air bubble from forming.
在等待面糰的时候，我们可以准备蛋馅。将剩余的蛋液 （大约35g) 和糖跟牛奶混均。避免在搅拌时产生太多气泡。
7. When the dough is ready, divide it into 4 equal portions ( about 30g each) and shape into small balls.
8. Place a dough in a chicken pie or mini tart mould. Press the dough to follow the wall of the mould to about 3/4 height.
9. Pour in the egg custard mixture from (6) into the four tart shells.
10. Place the four raw tarts into the rice cooker. Select the 'Quick Cook' function, or normal rice cooking function, and start the first cooking cycle.
If you are using the 'Cake'function to bake, stop the baking process at around 25 to 30 minutes. The full 45 minutes cycle will over-cook the egg filling.
10. When the rice cooker beeps, indicating the cooking process is over, re-select the 'Quiick Cook' function, and let the egg tarts go through a second round of cooking process.
11. When the second cooking process is over, open the rice cooker lid to check whether the tarts are cooked.
If the egg tart is cooked, the crust will detach from the mould, and the egg custard is firm.
12. Transfer the egg tarts to a wire rack to cool down for about 10 minutes. Remove the tarts from the mould when it is still warm.
13. Serve warm:)
Yon can also bake these tarts in a oven set at 170 degree Celsius for about 20 to 25 minutes.
Baked on 6 March 2017
Baked on 6 March 2017