Instead of the usual cream cheese frosting, the Ermine or butter roux frosting, give a light and fluffy butter cream topping to the cupcakes. With a higher temperature tolerance, Ermine frosting allows the cupcakes to be kept at room temperature :)
Yield: 16 regular size cupcakes
Beet root purée
1. Rinse and scrub beet root.
2. Steam beet root for 45 to 60 minutes, or till tender.
Alternatively, you can wrap the beet root with aluminum foil, and bake at 190 degree Celsius for 50 to 60 minutes.
3. Peel and cut the beet root into chunks. Purée the beet root into very smooth paste.
Red velvet cupcake
165g cooked beet purée
70g coconut oil
200g fine sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
140g cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
220g fresh milk
1. Add coconut oil to beet purée and mix well.
2. Pour sugar and vanilla extract to the beet mixture.
3. Mix all purpose flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder in another mixing bowl.
4. Pour flour mixture and milk into the beet batter, in alternate order. Blend well.
5. Line the cupcake moulds with cupcake papers.
6. Pour batter into the cupcake mould to about 3/4 full.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven set at 175 degree Celsius for about 20 to 25 minutes.
120 g whole milk
13g all purpose flour
Pinch of salt
110 g unsalted butter
40 g fine sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
(80g sugar too sweet, so I amend it to 40g 😆)
1. Whisk flour into milk and heat over low flame.
2. Stirring regularly till the mixture thickens. When you lift up the whisk, the drizzle is able to leave a trail which can last for a few seconds before "dissolving" into the top.
3. Add pinch of salt and stir well. Pour the mixture to a bowl, cover with a lid, and let it cools down.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk butter and sugar till fluffy. Add vanilla and blend well.
5. When the milk mixture has cool down, add it by tbsp to the butter mixture using a mixer set at medium speed.
At the end of the mixing, you'll get very light, fluffy and buttery cream frosting.
6. Transfer the frosting to a pipping bag and pipe on the cool red velvet cupcakes. Enjoy :)
Taste nicer after chilling :)
Cupcake recipe adapted from:
Ermine frosting recipe adapted from: