This purple sweet potato bread loaf, though it appears brown more than purple, has a very soft texture. By steaming the sweet potato chunks with the sweet pandan leaves, the bread carries a vague pandan scent mixed with coconut milk scent. Smelling it is enough to whet your appetite ^^
Yield: 3 small loaves
Loaf pan size: 30Lx10Wx8H cm
Breadmaker: Whirlpool BM 1000
Raw dough: about 588g
Ingredients (room temperature)
120g purple sweet potato paste
260g bread flour
3/4 tsp instant dry yeast
30g fine sugar
1/4 tsp salt
40g trim coconut milk
100g fresh milk
20g beaten egg
20g unsalted butter
Some beaten egg as egg wash
1. Steamed sweet potato chunks with pandan leaf (optional) in medium high heat for 20 minuets, or till a stick can poke through easily.
2. Remove the pandan leaves. While the sweet potato is still hot, mesh it using a fork. Collect 120g of sweet potato paste.
3. Pour trim coconut milk and fresh milk into a heat resistant bowl and keep warm in a rice cooker for about 10 minutes.
4. Pour the milk mixture into the bread pan.
5. Pour in the sugar and salt.
6. Add in the unsalted butter.
7. Loosen the sweet potato paste slightly and add into the bread pan.
8. Pour in the bread flour.
9. Dig a hole with your finger and pour in the instant dry yeast.
11. Close the lid and select "Dough" function, and start the process.
After 1:30 h, the dough is ready.
12. Invert out the dough onto a floured worktop.
13. Flatten the dough with your palm.
14. Divide the dough into 3 portions, each weighs about 196g.
15. Shape the 3 doughs into balls, coat with some flour, covers with a lid and let them rest for 15 minutes.
16. Roll out a dough to a width slightly shorter than 2 times the width of the loaf pan.
Fold in both sides,
and roll up the dough.
17. Place the dough into a greased loaf pan.
Repeat for the remaining 2 doughs.
18. Spray some water and transfer the dough into a closed oven. Allow the dough to proof for about 40 minutes.
19. When the top of the dough reaches 1 cm above the brim of the loaf pan, remove the dough out of the oven. Start to preheat the oven to 170 degree Celsius.
20. Brush a thin coat of egg wash over the top of the dough.
21. Bake the bread dough in the oven at 170 degree Celsius for about 19 to 20 minutes, or till the top turns golden.
22. Remove the bread from the oven and turn out the bread onto a cooling rack.
23. Slice the bread after it has cooled down :)