Yield: one cake in a 20cm square pan
All ingredients in room temperature
Using 55g eggs
90g unsalted butter
3 egg yolks
50g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
90g top/cake flour
375g fresh milk
Pinch of salt
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp lemon juice
50g fine sugar
Some icing sugar for sprinklling on top
1. Line a 20cm square pan with parchment paper.
2. Heat 90g of unsalted butter over medium heat till the melted butter starts to turn golden and little brown speck starts to appear at the bottom.
Remove from the stove and let the browned butter cool down.
Stir the melted butter constantly to avoid a sudden burst and splattering of hot butter!
3. Warm up the fresh milk to about 50 degree Celsius. Cover and set aside.
4. Beat egg yolks with brown sugar till light golden colour.
5. Add in vanilla extract, salt and browned butter from (2), and mix well.
6. Gradually stir in the flour and mix well.
7. Pour in the warm milk from (3) and mix well.
8. Beat eggs whites with a little lemon juice and 50g fine sugar, till reaching the firm peak stage.
9. Fold in the meringue/egg white into the milk batter. Use a hand whisk to break up the meringue, then use a spatula to mix by scrapping the side and the bottom.
Need not do a thorough mixing in order to achieve a three-layer effect
10. Pour the batter to the prepared cake pan. Use a spatula to even out the top.
11. Place the cake pan in a bigger pan and pour hot water to a height of about 1 cm.
12. Bake in a preheated oven set at 150 degree C for about 50 minutes.
Use a spoon to press lightly on the surface. If the surface springs back, then the cake is ready.
13. Allow the cake to cool down in the cake pan completely before lifting it out.
14. Trim away the uneven sides and cut it into 9 square portions.
15. Sprinkle icing sugar over the top and serve :)
Recipe adapted from
with appreciation 😄