Yield: 9 buns in a 20cm square pan
Raw dough weight: 521g
Baking temperature: Preheat oven to 190℃ for 10 minutes, bake at middle rack, at 180℃ for 10 minutes, lower to 170℃ for 8 minutes, off oven and bake for about 5 minutes.
200g bread flour
20g superfine wholegrain flour
35g raw sugar
2g instant dry yeast
pinch of vanillin powder, optional
40g natural yeast/sourdough, 100% hydration*
28g yudane dough^
100g mango yogurt, cold
30g low fat milk, cold
20g condensed milk
25g water, cold, to be added depending on dough condition
2g low sodium salt
30g unsalted butter, softened
15g dried mango, cut into bit size
15g dried cranberries, cut into bit size
Some milk as milk wash before baking
About 3 to 4g melted butter as butter wash after baking
* 40g natural yeast can be replaced by 20g each of bread flour and water + 1/8 tsp instant dry yeast. Let the mixture stands for about 1 hour or till double in volume, before use. You can also keep the mixture in the fridge overnight and thaw it for 1 hour before use.
^ 28g yudane dough is prepared by combining 15g of bread flour with 14g of very hot or boiling water into a sticky dough. Wrap the yudane dough in cling wrap, cool down before chilling in the fridge overnight. Use a silicone spatula to scrape out the sticky yudane dough from the cling wrap.
1. Knead the dough following your preference method.
For my method, you can refer to my recipe Yudane Milk Bread. After kneading the dough to window pane stage,
shape the dough into a ball, and keep in a big mixing bowl. Spray some water over, cover with a lid, and let it proof for about 80 minutes, or till double in size.
End of 80-minute proofing 👇
2. Invert out the dough onto a floured work top, deflate the dough, and spread the dried mango and cranberry bits over the dough.
Press to sink the dried fruits into the dough.
Divide the dough into 9 portions.
3. Shape the dough into 9 balls and place in a 20 cm square pan lined with parchment paper.
Spray some water over, cover with a piece of cloth, and let the shaped dough proof for about 40 minutes, or till the shaped dough double in size.
End of 40-minute proofing 👇
4. Start to preheat the oven to 190℃ for about 10 minutes. While waiting, brush a thin coat of milk over the dough surface.
5. Bake the shaped dough at lower rack of a preheated oven, lower the temperature to 180℃ after closing the oven door, and bake for 10 minutes. Further reduce the temperature to 170℃ for 8 minutes. Turn off the oven, and let the buns bake for 5 further minutes.
6. Remove the buns from the oven, lift out from the pan,
and brush a coat of melted butter over the hot crust.
and let them cool over a cooling rack.