A delicious pie with soft flaky crust and moist potato bacon filling.
Yield: 8 x 12cm pies
350~380g cooked potato 熟马铃薯
50g bacon bits 腌肉粒
2 tbsp yellow onion, chopped黄大葱粒
1 tbsp chopped carrot 胡萝卜粒
1 tbsp chopped capsicum 青椒粒
100ml fresh milk 鲜奶
1/4 tsp salt 盐
1/4 tsp black pepper 黑胡椒
Dash of seasoning powder, optional 调味粉，可免
1. Take about 400g of raw potatoes, peel and cut into large chunks. Rinse with salt water. Steam in a rice cooker for about 15 minutes, till soft.
2. Mash the potato which it is hot.
3. Heat bacon bits over a parchment paper in a pot over medium high heat. Transfer the bacon out of the pot when slightly brown.
4. Heat up 1/2 tbsp of olive oil, stir-fry onion till frangrant. Then stir in carrot and capsicum.
5. When the vegetable slightly softened, pour the bacon bits and mashed potato in and mix.
6. Slowly add in the milk, stirring and watching the consistency. Adjust the milk quantity according to the consistency of the potato paste.
Caution: too wet will result in a soggy crust after baking.
7. Add salt, black pepper and seasoning powder according to your taste.
8. Scoop out the potato filling and allow it to cool down.
150g top flour 低筋面粉
100g frozen butter 冰奶油
1 egg yolk 蛋黄
1/4 tsp salt 盐
10g fine sugar 细糖
50g iced water 冰水
1. Mix flour, salt and sugar in a big mixing bowl.
2. Add frozen butter to the flour. Cut the butter into coarse bits with a dough cutter.
3. Add in egg yolk and iced water, stir into a dough using a pair of chopsticks.
4. Place the dough in a plastic bag and roll into an even dough. Place the dough in the fridge for 1 to 2 hour.
6. Divide the dough into 2/3 and 1/3.
7. Take the 2/3 portion and further divide into 8 portions. Place the dough between two plastic sheets, and use a plate to press it into about 12 cm diameter round dough. Place the flattened dough into the mould with the aid of the plastic sheet.
If the room temperature is high, keep the rest of the dough in the fridge until needed.
8. Scoop the filling into the mould to about 4/5 in height.
9. Divide the remaining 1/3 dough into 8 parts. Roll into flat dough to cover the pie.
10. Remove excess crust. Use a fork, press the edge of the pie to form patterns. Use a toothpick to poke a few holes on the crust.
11. Brush with beaten egg.
12. Bake in pre-heated oven at 170 degree Celsius for about 40 minutes.
13. Allow the pies to rest for about 5 minutes, before inverting the pies out of the moulds.
Remove the pie from the mould while it is hot for easy removal.
12. Serve hot :)