This recipe makes use of the "keep warm" function of the rice cooker, helps to reduce the prolong proofing time by almost half.
Yield: 4 x 8cm buns
180g bread flour 高筋面粉
20g top flour 低筋面粉
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast 即发干酵母
1/4 tsp salt 盐
30g dark brown sugar 黑糖
120g warm water (about 50 degree C)
20g unsalted butter, softened
1. Mix the flour, yeast and salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Dissolve brown sugar in the warm water.
3. Pour 3/4 of the brown sugar solution into the flour mixture. Stir to blend.
4. Transfer the dough to the work top and knead for about 10 to 15 minutes, till the dough is smooth.
5. Spread out the dough and apply the softened butter over it. Knead to blend in the butter.
6. Knead and slam the dough against the work top for about 5 minutes till the dough becomes elastic and stretchable.
7. Pull down the sides of the dough and seal at the bottom. Place the dough in a lightly greased container. Spray some water over the dough, cover and place inside the rice cooker.
8. Switch on the "Keep Warm" mode for 3 minutes. Switch off the "Keep Warm" mode, and let the dough proof in the rice cooker for about 30 minutes, or till the dough double it's size.
9. To test whether the proofing is complete, poke your finger coated with flour into the dough. If the gap remains open, then the proofing is complete. Otherwise, allow another 10 minutes of proofing and check again.
10. Sprinkle some flour over the dough and the work top. Invert the dough out, and flatten it to remove the trapped air.
11. Divide the dough into 4 portions. Pull down the sides, and seal at the bottom into a ball.
Lightly coat the dough with some flour, place in a container, and cover with a lid. Allow the dough to rest for about 15 minutes.
13. Spray some water over the doughs, and turn on the "Keep Warm" mode for 3 minutes. After turning off, allow the dough to proof for about 30 minutes.
14. When second proofing has complete, turn on the "Cake Baking" mode to start baking. You may use the "Quick Cook" mode to bake if your rice cooker does not have "Cake" function. The "Quick Cook" mode may require two rounds of cooking to ensure thorough baking of the bread.
15. When baking complete, lift out the buns using the parchment paper.