An all-natural corn bread using fresh corn kernels and kneaded by breadmaker. The top crust is well covered by melted white cheddar cheese baked to slightly brown. :)
Yield: 9 buns in a 18cm square pan
Appliances: powerful food processor
Breadmaker: Whirlpool BM1000
Raw dough weight: 535g
Baked bread weight: 561g
80g low fat / wholemilk 低脂/全脂牛奶
70g steamed corn kernels 蒸玉米粒
20g steamed corn kernels* 蒸玉米粒*
20g condensed milk 炼乳
* can be replaced by steamed pumpkin for a sunny yellow colour bread
40g fine sugar 细糖
1/4 tsp salt 盐
35g beaten egg 蛋液
30g unsalted butter 无盐奶油
230g bread flour 高筋面粉
20g wholemeal/cake flour 全麦/低筋面粉
3/4 tsp instant dry yeast 即发酵母粉
Some beaten egg for glazing
75g shredded white cheese#
# can mix with some Parmesan cheese for better flavour
1 tbsp golden syrup/honey
1 tsp hot water
1. Collect corn kernels from cob and steamed at high heat for 12~15 minutes.
You may want to add a pandan leaf to the corn while steaming to give it a sweet scent.
2. Blend 70g of corn kernels with 80g milk in a food processor till creamy.
Add in the 20g of corn kernels to above mixture, and give it two pulse blendings. The purpose is to chop the corn kernels into smaller bits, but still keeping it coarse.
4. Pour corn milk mixture into the bread pan.
5. Add in beaten egg.
6. Add in sugar and salt.
7. Add in unsalted butter.
8. Pour in bread flour and wholemeal/cake flour.
9. Dig a hole and pour in the instant dry yeast.
10. Place the bread pan into the bread machine.
11. Select "8" Dough function; and press "start".
12. While waiting for the dough to proof, apply a thin coat of butter and line a 18cm square baking tin with parchment paper. The parchment paper serves to help to lift the bread out of the tin after baking.
13. When the dough is ready, lift the bread pan out of the bread machine.
14. Sprinkle some bread flour over the surface of the dough, and transfer it to a floured work top. Press down to release the trapped air.
As the dough maybe sticky, it is advisable to handle it with a pair of disposable gloves.
15. Divide the dough into 9 equal portions, about 59g each.
16. Roll up the individual doughs and shape into balls by pulling down the side of the dough, and seal at the bottom.
17. Coat the dough ball with some flour and roll it within your hand into a round ball. Place into the lined baking tin.
18. Spray some water and let the dough proof in a closed oven for about 50 minutes, or when the dough almost reached the brim.
19. Remove the baking tin from the oven. Start to preheat the oven to 170 degree Celsius.
20. Brush some beaten egg, and place cold shredded white cheddar cheese over the surface.
Keep the shredded cheese in the fridge till needed. Cold shredded cheese is not as sticky as room temperature cheese, so easier to spread out. Cold cheese also prevent the cheese from over-burning during baking.
21. Bake in a preheated oven set at 170 degree Celsius placed at middle rack for about 18 to 20 minutes, or till the cheese partially brown.
22. While the bread is baking, prepare the syrup glazing sauce.
23. Transfer the bread out of the oven and apply syrup glazing sauce over the cheese immediately.
24. Lift out the bread from the baking tin onto a cooling rack after applying the glazing sauce.
Enjoy the cheesy corn bread warm :)
With added steamed pumpkin in place of 20g corn kernels, the bread carried a brighter yellow hue :)