Steamed corn kernels were blended with milk and added to the sweet bread dough. To bring out the nice aroma of the butter, a small chunk of cold butter was added to the top of the dough, together with some sugar, and baked to golden. These not only gave the bread a nice glossy crust, but also an aromatic topping :)
Yield: 9 mini buns in one 20cm square pan
Bread weight: 460g
Raw dough weight: 470g
A powerful blender 强力搅拌器
Whirlpool BM1000 breadmaker 面包机
Natural Yeast (100% hydration)
Day Temperature: 30 degree Celsius
40g natural yeast poolish dough 天然酵母种
20g cool boiled water 凉开水
20g unbleached bread flour 高筋面粉
2g honey 蜜糖
Click the link for the method of cultivating natural yeast:
1. As the natural yeast poolish dough has been kept in the fridge for more than a week, a little grey liquid can be seen at the surface. Pour this grey liquid away before starting.
2. Feed the room temperature natural yeast poolish dough with 20g each of cool boiled water and bread flour.
A little honey has also been added to invigorate the natural yeast after a long sleep.
Allow the natural yeast to double in volume. This may take about 1 to 3 hours depending on the yeast strength.
Stir the mixture.
Cover and mark the level with a rubber band. Wait for the natural yeast poolish dough to double in volume.
2 hours after feeding, the poolish dough has grown more than double.
3. Collect 40g natural yeast to be added to the dough later.
Keep the remaining natural yeast In another bottle and do another round of feeding, wait for it to double in volume before storing in fridge.
Some beaten egg for glazing
9g cold salted butter, cut into 9 portions
2 tsp raw sugar for sprinklling
Keep the butter chunks in the refrigerator till needed.
80g cold whole milk 冷全脂牛奶
45g steamed corn kernels 蒸玉米粒
15g condensed milk 炼乳
40g fine sugar 细糖
20g beaten egg 蛋液
1/4 tsp salt 盐
20g cold unsalted butter 冷无盐奶油
185g bread flour 高筋面粉
15g top/cake flour 低筋面粉
40g natural yeast poolish dough* 天然酵母种*
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast 即发酵母粉
* natural yeast can be replaced by 15g fresh milk and 1/4 tsp instant dry yeast.
* 天然酵母种可由15g 的牛奶和 1/4 小匙的即发干酵母取代
1. Line a 20cm square pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Steamed corn kernels at high heat for 12 to 15 minutes.
You may want to add a pandan leaf to the corn while steaming to give them a sweet scent.
3. Wait for the corn kernels to cool to room temperature. Blend 45g of corn kernels with 80g of cold milk in a food processor till creamy.
4. Stir condensed milk to the corn milk, and refrigerate it till needed.
Pour cold corn milk mixture into the bread pan.
5. Add in beaten egg.
6. Add in sugar, salt and cold butter.
7. Pour in bread flour, top/cake flour, and natural yeast.
8. Dig a hole and pour in the instant dry yeast.
9. Place the bread pan into the bread machine.
10. Select "8" Dough Kneading function; and press "Start".
11. The dough is ready.
12. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface. Flatten it with your palm to release the trapped air.
14. Roll up the individual doughs and shape into balls by pulling down the side of the dough, and seal at the bottom.
15. Coat the dough ball with some flour and roll it within your hand into a round ball. Place into the lined baking pan.
16. Spray some water and let the dough proof in a closed oven for about 40 minutes, or when the dough almost double in size.
17. Remove the baking pan from the oven. Start to preheat the oven to 190 degree Celsius.
18. Brush some beaten egg over the top,
Snip the top with a pair of sharp scissor,
Sprinkle some raw sugar grains over the top.
19. When the dough is in the oven, reduce the temperature from 190 degree Celsius to 170 degree Celsius, at the lowest rack, for about 18 to 20 minutes, or till the top turns golden.
20. Remove the bread from the oven, and allow to cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
21. Lift the bread out of the baking pan after about 5 minutes, and onto a cooling rack .