Serving: 2 portions
200~220g chicken fillets/breast
3 leaves Chinese cabbage
Some sliced carrot
1/2 tsp less salt light soya sauce
1/4 tsp raw sugar
Dash of pepper powder
1/2 tsp beaten egg
1/2 tsp potato starch
1/2 tsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp less salt light soya sauce
2 tbsp mirin, Japanese sweet rice wine
2 tbsp raw sugar
2 tsp starch water
1. Rinse and dice chicken fillets into cubes.
Add marinade in the order as listed.
Start with light soya sauce, sugar and pepper powder. Mix well.
Add beaten egg and potato starch. Mix well.
Finally, add vegetable oil and mix well.
Let the meat marinate for about 15 to 20 minutes.
2. While waiting for the meat to marinate, start cooking the rice and vegetables in a rice cooker.
After cooking, the veggies have softened but still retained their fresh colour.
3. Get the teriyaki sauce ingredients, except the starch water, ready in a bowl. Set aside.
4. Heat about 1-2 tbsp of olive oil and a slice of ginger, in a pot till the oil starts to smoke a little. Reduce the temperature and let the oil cool down slightly for about 1/2 to 1 minute.
By doing this, I'll get the nice aroma from the hot oil, but avoid cooking the meat in high temperature.
Add in the marinated meat and stir fry quickly to prevent the meat from sticking to the pot.
When the about 50% of the meat starts to turn opaque, transfer out the meat to a bowl and set aside.
5. Pour the teriyaki mixture from (3) into the pot and heat at medium high heat till the sauce starts to bubbles.
6. Pour in the half-cooked meat and stir to mix.
7. When all the meat turn opaque and well coated with the teriyaki sauce, drizzle in the starch water to thicken the sauce.
8. Dish out the teriyaki chicken when the meat is thoroughly cooked. Garnish with cut spring onion.
9. Serve warm with warm rice and vegetables :)