I have long heard about cold or delayed fermentation technique which helps to produce good texture bread.
This is my first attempt in using this technique, so I just tried it out for a 6-hour delayed fermentation. The bread produced was indeed quite soft, moist and slightly springy. The good texture was able to maintain till the next day, even without reheating the bread. Perhaps the fermentation duration was not long enough, less than 12 hours, the bread aroma was not significantly different :)
Yield: 9 mini buns in one 20cm square pan
Bread weight: 427g
Raw dough weight: 436g
These are the dried beans and nuts that were used in the soya milk making.
The multigrain soya pulp and the milk.
105g cold fresh milk 冷鲜奶
15g condensed milk 炼乳
25g multigrain soya pulp* 五谷豆渣 *
20g beaten egg 蛋液
40g raw sugar 黄砂糖
1/4 tsp salt 盐
20g cold unsalted butter冷无盐奶油
180g bread flour 高筋面粉
20g superfine wholegrain flour 超细全麦面粉
3/4 tsp instant dry yeast 即发干酵母
* soya pulp can be replaced by 20g fresh milk 五谷豆渣可由20g 鲜奶取代
Glazing & Topping
Some beaten egg for glazing 蛋液装饰
Some almond flakes 杏仁片
Some fine sugar 细砂糖
1. Mix cold fresh milk, condensed milk and soya pulp. Keep in the fridge for about 15 minutes to lower the temperature.
2. Mix bread flour and superfine wholegrain flour in a bowl.
3. Pour ingredients into the bread pan in the sequence as they are listed in the ingredients list.
4. Transfer the bread pan to the bread machine. Select "dough" kneading function and activate it.
5. When the kneading stops, about 20 minutes after the kneading started, stop the bread machine and remove the dough from the pan.
Apply a little oil over the dough and the interior of a plastic bag. Loosely seal the dough in the plastic bag with most of the air being removed.
Double seal the dough in two plastic bags and place in the fridge to undergo low temperature fermentation for about 4 to 6 hours.
For overnight proofing, it is advisable to triple seal the dough to prevent dehydrating the dough.
6. After the undergoing the cold fermentation in the fridge, thaw the dough in room temperature for about 30 minutes.
30 minutes later
7. Cut open the plastic bag, and turn out the dough onto a floured surface. Flatten it with your palm to release the trapped air.
The dough is still cold to feel at this stage, but it is fine to be shaped.
12. Roll up the small dough, pull down the sides several times to stretch out the dough surface, and seal at the bottom.
Wrap your palm around the dough and let it roll within your palm, to shape it.
13. Place the dough into the lined square pan. Spray some water and let the doughs proof for about 40 minutes in a warm oven.
14. Preheat the oven to 170 degree Celsius. Apply a few coats of beaten egg wash over the dough surface.
15. Bake at 170 degree Celsius, at lower rack of the oven for about 17 to 20 minutes, or till the top turns golden.
16. Transfer the hot bread to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy ^^