Yield: 8 x 6cm round buns
Click the link for preparation of red bean paste:
Sweet Bun Dough
40g HongKong flour 包粉/香港低筋面粉
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast 即发干酵母
35g water 水
1. Mix flour and instant dry yeast in a mixing bowl.
2. Slowly add in 35g of water, stir in one direction till it form into a paste.
3. Cover and let the dough proof for 50 minutes.
Sponge from above
125g Hongkong flour 包粉/香港低筋面粉
25g confectioner's sugar 糖粉
1/2 tsp double acting baking powder 双重发粉
1/8 tsp salt 盐
10g rice bran/corn oil 米糠油/玉米油
35~45g water, add as required 水，水量自酌
1. Mix HongKong flour, confectioner's sugar, salt and double acting baking powder by using a hand whisk.
2. Pour the remaining ingredients, except the water, into the mixture in (1).
3. Slowly add in the water and stir at the same time, till you get all the ingredients into a big lump.
Leaving behind about 10g of water to be added depending on the consistency of the dough.
Avoid adding too much water to the dough, to help the buns keep its shape after steaming.
4. Transfer the dough onto a floured work top and knead into an elastic and smooth dough.
5. Roll the dough into a long rope, and divide into 8 portions, each about 34g. Roll into balls, coated with flour, and place in a mixing bowl.
6. Roll out the dough into a flat dough with the edge thinner than the center. Flip the dough skin over, so that the smoother side will be facing out when wrapped.
Place a red bean paste ball onto the center of the dough skin. Wrap up the dough, and sealed the opening.
Invert and place the bun dough onto a piece of paper. The paper helps you to carry the buns into the steamer later.
7. Proof the buns for 20 minutes before steaming.
Start counting down the proofing time, the minute you finish shaping the first buns. If you only start to count down the proofing time after finish shaping the last buns, the first bun would be over-proofed.
Start heating a pot of water for steaming the buns, when you start shaping the buns.
8. When the water boils, steam the buns for 5 minutes at medium high flame.
Turn down flame to medium and continue to steam for about 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, open the lid slightly for 1 minute.
9. Transfer the buns to a cooling rack.
You can also keep the warm buns in a rice cooker to prevent the outer layer from drying up.
Keep the unconsumed buns in the fridge for overnight storage.