I've a few pancake recipes in my blog. The main difference between this recipe and the rest is the use of natural yeast and commercial yeast in place of baking soda. Honestly, I don't quite like the after-taste of baking soda in the pancake. Hence, in this recipe, I abandoned baking soda and entrusted the leavening job to yeasts.
Besides yeasts, I also added superfine wholegrain flour to the recipe. This helps to fortified the pancake with a little dietary fibre as compare to plain one.
I was happy that the pancake yielded a crispy crust and a soft moist crumb. The multi-nuts filling complimented the pancake well.
Sink your teeth into the soft pancake, and enjoy the burst of nutty flavour in every bite 💕
You can try Japanese red bean paste filling, too. The steps can be found at the back of this recipe :)
Yield: 4 servings
Blender or food processor
Flat base non-stick pan
Mixed Nut Butter
20g almond 杏仁
20g cashew nuts 腰豆
10g walnuts 核桃
50g ground roasted peanut 烤香花生碎
25g raw sugar 黄砂糖
1 tbsp honey 蜜糖
1. Roast almonds, cashew nuts and walnuts in a preheated oven toaster at 150 degree C for about 10 to 15 minutes, or till golden.
Using 120 degree C will take about 30 min.
2. Pour all the roasted nuts, ground roasted peanut and sugar to a blender and fix with a flat blade knife. Blitz the ingredients to your desired consistency.
If you prefer a paste form of filling, continue to blitz till the ingredients become "wet" and stick to blender's wall.
3. Stir in honey using a chopstick and set aside.
75g warm water 温水
30g raw sugar 黄砂糖
1/4 tsp instant dry yeast 即发干酵母
65g fresh or low fat milk 鲜奶
1 egg, 55g 鸡蛋
Dash of fine salt 细盐
90g plain flour 中筋面粉
15g superfine wholegrain flour^ 超幼全麦面
50g natural yeast* 天然酵母 100% hydration
10g coconut/vegetable oil
^ superfine wholegrain flour can be replaced by plain flour
* for non-natural-yeast version, replace 50g of natural yeast by 25g each of plain flour and water, with 1/4 tsp instant dry yeast.
1. Feed natural yeast with unbleached bread flour and water. For better result, use the natural yeast within 3 hours after feeding.
2. Add warm water, less than 40 degree Celsius, to raw sugar. Then sprinkle instant dry yeast over the surface of the water without stirring it. Set aside for 15 minutes till the mixture form a foamy layer at the surface.
3. Pour in milk, egg and pinch of salt.
4. Mix all purpose flour and superfine wholegrain flour. Then add to the batter in (3).
Pour in the natural yeast from (1).
5. Add in 10g of coconut/vegetable oil and blend well.
6. Seal the opening and let it proof for 30 minutes in room temperature.
7. After the 30-minute proofing, keep the batter in the fridge for about 2 hours.
9. Give the batter a few stirrings to remove the bigger trapped air bubbles.
Seal back the cling wrap and continue to proof for another 30 minutes in room temperature.
25 to 30 minutes later
There are some fine air bubbles appeared throughout the batter.
10. Coat some oil and pre-heat the flat base non-stick pan for about 10 minutes at low temperature.
11. Pour in the batter, lift up and swirl the pan. The main purpose is to form an upright edge surrounding the pancake. This "skirting" will help to hold the filling better.
12. Shift the pan every 1 to 2 minutes to ensure even heating.
13. When the pancake is ready, the edge will pull away from the wall of the pan. Run a spatula round the edge to loosen the pancake from the pan.
Fold the pancake into half and transfer to the cooling rack.
15. After the pancake has cooled down slightly, slice it with a knife.
16. Enjoy :)
If you are not eating the pancake immediately, wrap the pancakes individually with food wrap, to keep them moist :)
Japanese Red Bean Paste Pancake
1. Prepare the pancake as above.
2. Use store-bought Japanese red bean paste as filling. Spread the paste over half of the pancake, and fold the pancake into half.
I bought the red bean paste from Daiso at S$2 each.
3. Cool over a wire rack for about 5 minutes before cutting. Enjoy it warm :)
Pancake baked on 26 June 2017
Changed 90g plain flour to 97g plain flour and 3g glutinous rice flour