Yield: 16 mini buns in 20x20cm cake tin
Rice flour water roux
15g rice flour
45~50g boiling water
1. Pour boiling water into the rice flour and stir into a paste.
2. Allow the rice water roux to cool down before use.
50g rice water roux
280g bread flour
40g fine sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
10g cocoa powder
170g fresh milk
30g unsalted butter, room temperature
Some egg white
Some almond chips
50~60g chocolate chips
1. Mix all the ingredients, except keeping about 30g milk and butter, into a dough.
2. Transfer the dough to a floured work top and knead for about 10~15 minutes. Add in the remaining 30g of milk in the process of kneading.
3. When the dough becomes smooth, spread out the dough and apply softened butter over it. Continue to knead and slam the dough against the work top for about 5 to 10 minutes till the dough becomes elastic.
4. Pull down the side of the dough and seal at the bottom to form a round dough.
Place the dough into a lightly greased mixing bowl, spray some water, and cover with a lid. Allow the dough to proof for about 1 hour, or till it's size doubles.
5. To test whether the proofing is complete, poke a hole in the middle of the dough using the index finger coated with flour. If the gap stays open, then the proofing is complete. Otherwise, allow it to proof for another 10 minutes, and test again.
6. Flatten the dough to release all the trapped air.
7. Divide the dough into 16 equal portions.
8. Roll up a dough, pull down the sides, and seal at the bottom. Apply some flour and shape into a ball.
9. Place the dough balls in the bowl, cover with a lid, and allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes.
10. Take out a dough, roll it into a round flat dough. Flip over and place 1 tsp of chocolate chips in the middle. Close and seal the dough at the bottom. Shape it into a round ball and place in the cake tin lined with parchment paper
11. Spray some water over the surface of the dough, and transfer it to the oven to undergo second proofing process for 50 minutes.
12. Apply a coat of egg white wash over the surface. Arrange some almond chips on top.
13. Bake the bread in a preheated oven set at 180 degree Celsius for about 20 to 22 minutes.
14. Transfer the bread out of the cake tin to cool on a wire rack.
Recipe adapted from: