A low fat savoury vegetarian pie made of thin shortcrust and low fat pumpkin filling. This simple pie will whet your appetite without guilt :)
Yield: 2 mini 12cm pies
Pie filling 派馅
160g pumpkin, peeled 南瓜，去皮
50g potato, peeled 马铃薯，去皮
10g sour cream 酸奶油
1/4 tsp seasoning powder 调味粉
1/8 tsp black pepper powder 黑胡椒粉
70g all-purpose flour 中筋面粉
1/4 tsp salt 盐
30g cold butter, unsalted 无盐冷奶油
2 tsp ice water 冰水
1. Cut pumpkin and potato into chunks. Place the potato above the pumpkin, as the former needs longer cooking time.
2. Steam the potato and pumpkin for 20 to 25 minutes under medium high heat till softened.
3. Separate the potato and pumpkin. Drain away the excess liquid before mashing the pumpkin while it is hot, by using a fork. Partially cover it to cool down.
4. Cut the potato into smaller chunks. Set aside.
5. Mix flour and salt in a bowl. Place the butter on top and send the entire bowl into a fridge to chill for 5 minutes. As the rubbing process needs to operate in low temperature.
6. Break the butter into smaller chunks and start rubbing the butter with flour into crumbs using the first three fingers.
7. Add 2 tsp of ice cold water to bind the crumbs together.
8. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions, about 55g each. Let them rest for 15 minutes.
9. After cooling down, add sour cream, seasoning powder, black pepper powder and egg to the mashed pumpkin, and mix well. Set aside.
10. After 15 minutes of resting, place a dough between two plastic sheets. And roll it out into a thin sheet, either by using a flat base plate, or a rolling pin.
11. With the help of the plastic sheet, slot the pastry skin into the pie pan. Use a knife to trim away the excess.
12. Prick a series of holes at the base of the pie shell by using a fork. This will prevent the base from bulging during baking.
13. Fill the pie shell with half of the pumpkins filling, and arrange potato chunks on it. Then fill the pie shells with the remaining pumpkin filling.
14. Level the surface of the filling by giving a few sturdy jolts. Hold a fork just lightly touching the pumpkin filling, turn the pie pan to create concentric ring pattern.
15. Bake the pie in a pre-heated toaster oven set at 190 degree for 20 to 25 minutes.
16. The pie is cooked when the edge of the pie shell begins to brown and pull away from the wall.
Invert out the pie when it is still warm.