Yield: 6 pieces of 12cm round flat bread
270g bread flour
30g wholemeal flour
30g fine sugar
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
1/2 tsp salt
20g olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
1. Soak chopped garlic in the olive oil and set aside.
2. Mix all ingredient A, except the water, in a mixing bowl.
3. Slowly pour in the water to mix, till you get a clean lump without sticking to the wall.
Do not add in all the water. Water to be added depending on the consistency of the dough.
4. Turn out the dough to a floured work top. Start kneading the dough for about 15 minutes, till you get a smooth and elastic dough.
5. To shape the dough into a ball, pull down the sides of the dough, and seal at the bottom. Place the dough into a lightly greased bowl, spray a few pumps of water, cover with a lid, and allow the dough to proof for about 1 hour in warm temperature, or till the size doubles.
6. Turn out the dough to a lightly floured work top. Flatten the dough to remove all the trapped air.
7. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions using a dough cutter
8. Shape the individual dough into a ball by pulling down the sides of the dough, and seal at the bottom.
9. Lightly coat the dough balls with flour, place them into a bowl, cover with a lid, and allow them to rest for about 15 minutes.
10. Roll out the dough into a 1cm thick round flat dough. Lightly coat the base with flour and place on a non-stick baking tray. Sprinkle some water over the surface, and transfer the tray to a closed oven to undergo second proofing. This process takes about 30 minutes.
11. After removing the dough from the oven, preheat the oven to 200 degree Celsius. Poke some holes over the surface of the dough.
12. Apply chopped garlic with olive oil from (1) over the surface of the dough.
13. Arrange the sliced garlic and sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the dough.
14. Sprinkle some dried parseley flakes over the surface.
15. Bake the dough in a pre-heated oven for about 15 to 18 minutes at 200 degree Celsius, or till the surface becomes golden
16. Transfer the focaccias to a wire rack to cool.