During the peak season of strawberry, when very ripe and red strawberries are available in abundance, it is the best time to make strawberry purée. The naturally sweet and red strawberry extract, made the best natural additive to strawberry cake and cream.
Yield: about 30 to 35g thick purée
100~120g very ripe strawberries, hulled
15g fine sugar
1. Rinse and hull strawberries. Cut into coarse bits.
2. Toss the strawberry bits with 15g sugar. Cover and let it rest for one hour.
4. Strain the strawberry pulp to collect the strawberry juice. Discard the tasteless leftover in the strainer.
5. Pour the strawberry juice back to the bowl, and start heating it at low heat. Stir regularly. Let the excess liquid evaporates away, and keep the thicken strawberry purée. This process takes about 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Transfer the strawberry purée to clean container, cover and refrigerate till next use.
Recipe adapted from: