Yield: one 18cm round cake
20g fine sugar
45g orange juice
1 tbsp grated orange zest from 1 large orange
30g coconut/vegetable oil
Pinch of salt
60g top/cake flour
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp lemon juice
30g fine sugar
1. Heat up 20g sugar, orange juice, orange zest, coconut oil and pinch of salt.
2. When the temperature reaches around 65 degree Celsius, remove from the heat source, and fold in the flour.
If the mixture starts to boil, let it cool for 1 to 2 minutes before adding flour.
3. Add in the flour at one go. Stir with a spatula to mix.
4. Add one yolk to the warm mixture in (3) and blend well, before adding the next yolk. Cover with a lid and set aside.
5. Before you start to prepare the meringue, starts to preheat the oven to 130 degree Celsius.
Use the oven temperature which you used to bake your chiffon/sponge cake. Mine only needs 130 degree C to bake.
6. Place egg whites in a clean and grease-free mixing bowl. Add in the lemon juice and beat at medium high speed till frothy.
Add in the 30g sugar and beat at high speed till firm peaks formed (the tips of the egg white slightly bent).
Reduce the mixer speed to low and continue to beat till stiff peaks formed (the tip of the meringue pointing up). Check your meringue regularly to avoid over beating.
7. Add 1/3 of the meringue into (4) and blend well.
8. Return the mixture in (6) to the remaining meringue and mix well.
9. Pour the batter into an ungreased 18cm springform cake tin. Give the cake tin a few taps to get rid of trapped air.
10. Transfer the cake to the lower rack of the preheated oven and bake at
For room temperature ingredients
130 degree Celsius for about 30 minutes. Then increase the oven temperature to 140 degree Celsius and bake for about 5 to 10 minutes, or till the cake turns golden and shrink a bit in height.
For fridge-cold ingredients
150 degree Celsius for about 30 minutes, or till the cake turns golden and shrink a bit in height.
Baking temperature and duration vary depending on individual oven. The temperature can range from 130 to 160 degree Celsius; and the baking time from 30 to 50 minutes. It took me more than 10 bakes to figure out this right temperature and baking time combination for my oven Y(^_^)Y
11. Immediately after leaving the oven, invert the cake tin over a wire rack to cool down.
12. After the cake has completely cool down, dislodge the cake by pushing down the edge of the cake gently.
13. Cut and serve :)