Yield: 12 x 5cm round cupcakes
Ingredients (room temperature)
100g top/cake flour
1/8 tsp salt
25g coconut/vegetable oil
35g orange juice
Grated orange zest from 1 orange
3 large eggs
95 g fine sugar
1. Line 12 muffin cups with cupcake papers. Set aside。
2. Loosen and mix top flour and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Extract juice and grate zest from one orange. Collect 35g of juice and 1 tsp of zest.
4. Add oil to orange juice and zest. Mix briefly and set aside.
5. Add egg white into a clean and grease-free mixing bowl. Whip the egg white using an electric mixer at medium high speed till frothy. This takes about 10 ~15 seconds.
Gradually add in the fine sugar and continue to beat at medium high speed till firm peaks formed. The tips of the egg white slightly curl. This will take about 4 to 5 minutes.
Reduce the mixer speed to lowest at the final minute. This helps to give the meringue a finer texture.
6. Preheat the oven to 170 degree Celsius.
7. Add in egg yolks, one at a time, to the meringue and mix well using the electric mixer set at low speed.
Beat the batter till firm. When you lift up the whisks, the dripped batter can stay for at least a few seconds before "dissolving" into the bowl of batter.
8. Sieve in 1/3 of the flour mixture from (2), and stir briefly to mix. Stop mixing even when there is still a few streaks of flour can be seen.
Over mixing will result in a tougher cake.
9. Add in 1/2 of the orange mixture from (4) and mix briefly.
Finally, use a spatula to scrap the side and bottom, to ensure no unmixed flour or liquid settle there.
Add in the remaining flour and orange mixture in an alternating sequence, in the pattern of
10. Pour the batter into a batter dispenser and dispense the batter to fill up to about 4/5 of the lined cupcake moulds height.
Tap the cake moulds against the work top to even out the batter.
11. Bake the cupcakes in a pre-heated oven set at 170 degree for about 20 minutes, or till the tops turn golden. When the cake is done, it'll shrink slightly and you can smell the sweet scent of the cake.
12. Transfer the cupcakes out of the oven.
Recipe adapted from: