This is a rather trim recipe which has a lower proportion of high fat ingredients. If you prefer a creamier and rich cake, this may not be your choice ^^
I love cottony Japanese cheesecake but always faced the problem of a cracked or wrinkled face cheesecake. Although the look does not affect the taste, it's a flaw in such a yummy cake.
Finally I learnt this technique after going through Dr Leslie Tay's note on how to bake a perfect Japanese cheesecake
The non-stick spray is really more effective than butter in helping the cake to rise without cracking Y(^_^)Y
Yield: one 14cm round cake
80g cream cheese 奶油乳酪
15g unsalted butter 无盐奶油
60g whole milk 全脂牛奶
Pinch of salt 些许盐
2 cold egg yolks 冷蛋黄
20g top/cake flour 低筋面粉
15g corn flour 玉米粉
2 cold egg whites 冷蛋白
1/4 tsp lemon juice 柠檬汁
50g sugar 细糖
1. Spray a 14cm base diameter by 5 cm height glass pan with non-stick cooking spray . Line the bottom with parchment paper.
Preheat the oven to 160 degree Celsius.
As the cake rises at least 5 cm during the baking process, it's best to get a tall wall baking mould.
2. Place (A) in a heat resistant mixing bowl and place over a bain-marie or hot water bath. Stir the mixture over low heat until smooth and thick.
3. Remove the mixing bowl from Bain-Marie, add ingredient (B) egg yolks and stir until well combined. Add ingredient (C) flour ingredients and mix till combine.
Do not over mix after added the flour.
4. In a clean and grease-free mixing bowl, whip the egg whites in (D) until frothy at medium high speed using an electric mixer. This will take about 10 seconds. depending on your mixer power.
Add in the remaining (D) ingredients (lemon juice followed by sugar) to the meringue gradually. When all the ingredients are well combined, resume to whip at medium high speed until soft peaks formed. This will take about 2 minutes.
5. Scoop about 1/3 of the meringue to mix with the cheese mixture in (3).
6. Pour the cheese mixture from (5) back to the balance meringue. Fold to combine.
7. Pour the batter into the glass pan. Give the glass pan a few jolts to level the top as well as to get rid of trapped air.
8. Pour hot water to a height of about 1 cm, into a bigger bake ware to serve as water bath.
9. Place the glass pan into the shallow water bath and bake in the oven lower rack for 40 to 45 minutes at 160 degree Celsius, or until the cake is firm and the top is golden.
10. At the end of the baking session, turn off the oven heat and leave the oven door ajar to cool down the cake gradually. Let the cake cool down in the oven for about 1/2 an hour.
A sudden reduction in temperature may cause the cake to collapse, if you remove the cake from the oven immediately.
11. After 1/2 an hour, continue to let the cake cools completely outside the oven. Cut and serve after 4 hours of refrigeration :)