Bottled berry jams are easily available from supermarkets at a low cost. However, nothing beats homemade jam prepared using the freshest ingredients without preservative. The smaller quantity also ensures the jam will be consumed within a short span of time - no over due worry :)
Yield: 260g jam
180g strawberry, cut into small bits
120g blueberry, partially cut*
90g raw sugar
15g lemon juice
30g rock sugar
*quarters the bigger blueberries and keep the smaller ones in whole.
1. Wash all fruits with veggie wash and drain well.
2. Cut the strawberries and blueberries into bit size.
3. Pour the two types of berries together in a glass or ceramic bowl.
4. Add in raw sugar and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep in a fridge for about 1 hour.
5. Pour the berry mixture and lemon juice into a pot and cook at medium low heat. Stir regularly to faciltate evaporation of the liquid.
6. When the mixture starts to thicken, add in the rock sugar. Continue to stir till it thickens further.
7. Pour the hot jam into a sterilized glass container.
8. Cover the opening with food wrap and a lid. Invert the container over and allow the jam to cool to room temperature.
9. Ready to serve on bread :)
You can also add one pandan leaf to the the fruit mixture while cooking it. This will give the jam a tinge of natural sweet pandan scent :)