As the name has suggested bitter gourd is usually unpalatable due to its bitterness. However, with the hour-long soaking, the bitter taste has drastically reduced. The thin, transparent and crunchy bitter gourd slice goes well the the sweet, tangy and aromatic tofu sesame dressing. This salad is best consume cold and be served on ice :)
Serving ice stand
Freeze a shallow bowl of water into ice in advance. The ice will be serve as a cold stand to keep the bitter gourd slices cold during serving.
But this step is optional.
Bitter Gourd Salad
80g bitter gourd, deseeded and sliced thinly
Soak in ice water for at least 1/2 to an hour.
After an hour of soaking, the bitter gourd slices have became transparent, and much less bitter. Set aside.
Tofu Sesame Dressing
10g cashew nuts
10g roasted white sesame seeds
60g silken tofu
1~2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp low salt light soya sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp vinegar
1/4 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp garlic
1 tsp coriander leaf, cut into short length
The quantity of the ingredients can be adjusted according to your preference.
1. Bake cashew nuts in oven toaster for 20 minutes at 120 degree Celsius, or till golden.
2. Add in the roasted white sesame seeds and give them a short heating at 120 degree Celsius for 5 minutes to bring out the aroma.
3. Blitz the roasted cashew nuts and sesame seeds into fine grains, in a food processor using the flat blade and pulse action.
2. Add tofu, golden syrup, light soya sauce, lemon juice, vinegar and sesame oil into the cup.
Blitz till creamy using the cross blades.
3. Finally, add in the garlic and coriander leaf and pulse blitz a few times.
4. Refrigerate the tofu sesame dressing till needed.
1. Distribute the bitter gourd slices over the ice standing on the serving plate.
2. Place the tofu sesame dressing in the centre and serve. Yum :)