A moist and soft pound cake that was adapted from a renowned recipe allegedly liked by the famous Elvis Presley. Most of the recipes term it "Elvis Presley's Favourite Pound Cake". I reduced the sugar quantity by more than half the original amount, to make this "health-threatening" cake slightly better.
Owing to the relatively high moisture content of the cake, this cake is best baked in a bundt or tube pan. Otherwise, the cake may need a longer baking time, or may end up with a damp centre :)
Yield: One 20 cm ring cake
All ingredients in room temperature.
Using 55g eggs
110g top/cake flour
1/4 tsp salt
90g unsalted butter, softened
110g fine sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
90g whipping cream
1. Coat one 20cm tube pan with butter, then follow by flour. Set aside.
2. Sieve cake flour and salt together in a bowl twice.
3. Beat the 3 eggs together in a bowl, and set aside.
4. Cream butter and sugar together till light and fluffy.
The process may take about 5 to 8 minutes by using an electric hand mixer at medium speed.
As no leavening agent is used in this recipe, a well-creamed batter is important in ensuring a good rise.
5. Gradually blend in the beaten egg to the batter. Add in small quantity after each mixing.
6. Mix in the vanilla extract.
7. Sieve 1/2 of the flour mixture from (2) into the batter and mix manually.
Try not to over mix the flour.
8. Mix in the whipping cream, followed by the other 1/2 of the flour.
9. Use a spatula to give a more thorough mixing.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
10. Bake in the middle rack of a cold oven without preheating set at 180 degree Celsius for about 35 to 45 minutes, or untill an inserted cake tester draws out clean.
When the cake is well baked, the edge will shrink away from the wall of the pan.
11. Allow the cake to rest in the pan for 5 minutes before inverting out to cool on a wire rack.
Recipe adapted from
with appreciation :)