I lugged back a packet of bread flour during my recent travel to Taiwan in December 2016. I bought this 1kg pure bread flour 🌾, without any addictive, from Carrefour Chong Qing store for NT90 (about S$4.50). The packet of flour has two smaller bags in it - a thoughtful packaging for people who do not bake often.
Printed at he back of the packaging was a bread recipe named "Dark Brown Sugar Healthy 5 Grains Bread". Frankly, this is truly a very delicious multigain bread for the entire family. You can find grains hiding among the soft bread crumb with a light brown sugar taste. I think I would enjoy this healthy slice of bread even if I have to eat it everyday 🐮😁
Bread weight: 600g
Raw dough weight: 566g
Pan size: 25 x 10 x 6.5 cm
Bread maker: Mayer MMBM12
Ingredients100 (75)g cold water
75 g cold fresh milk
37g dark brown sugar
4g fine salt
25g beaten egg
1/2 tsp golden syrup/honey
250 (230)g bread flour
7g milk powder
7g milk powder
3/4 (1/2) tsp instant dry yeast
30g cold unsalted butter
75g multi-grains (oat flakes, rye flake, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, linseeds, & sesame seeds)
(50g natural yeast, 100% hydration)
For adding natural yeast, please follow the amount in brackets, otherwise follow the normal quantities stipulated.
1. Lightly roast 75 g of multi-grains in a preheated toaster oven set at 150°C for about 5 to 10 minutes. This is to bring out the aroma seeds.
Allow the grains to cool down before adding to the dough.
2. Pour cold water, fresh milk, dark brown sugar, salt, beaten egg, and golden syrup into the bread pan.
Followed by the bread flour and milk powder.
Dig a hole in the flour and pour in the instant dry yeast.
(Add in the natural yeast if you're adding)
3. Lower the bread pan into the bread maker, select "C-11 Ferment Dough" function, and start the program. The mixing, kneading and first fermentation will take about 1 hour 30 minutes.
The dough would be very sticky and wet at the beginning. But it would improve after the addition of cold butter and multi grains. So, need not add flour to adjust during the first 10 minutes of kneading.
At 10th minute into the mixing/kneading program, add cold unsalted butter into the pan.
At the 15th minute into the mixing/kneading program, add in the toasted multigains.
4. When the program ends, let the dough stay in the bread maker for another 15 minutes.
15 minutes later
5. Turn out the dough onto a floured work top, flatten the dough to remove the trapped air.
Fold in the four sides of the dough into a square shape. Cover and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
6. After 15 minutes of rest, roll out the dough into about 1 cm thick. The width of the dough should correspond to the length of pan.
Flip over and roll up the dough.
Pinch to seal the edge.
Dust the dough with bread flour, and place into the pan.
7. Spray some water over the surface, and proof in a warm oven for about 45 to 60 minutes, or till the dough rise to 2 cm above the rim of the pan.
(To prepare a warm oven, I turn on the oven to 50°C for 1 minute)
8. Bake the dough in a preheated oven set at 180°C for about 25 to 30 minutes.
9. After leaving the oven, invert out the bread immediately. Let the hot bread cool down over a cooling rack.
10. Cut the bread after it has completely cool down. Enjoy 😋