This is not a standard Thai pineapple rice - just my own version of a lightly flavoured pineapple rice cooked using a mini rice cooker. Amazingly, the rice tasted soft and nicely flavoured, not to forget the sweet pineapple chunks. While the rice was still cooking in the rice cooker, the sweet fragrance of the rice and pineapple prompted my family members, who were at different corners of the house, asking what rice was I preparing :)
Try it out, the ingredients are simple :)
Ingredients1 cup of rice, 140g
50g ripen pineapple, diced
1 tsp fried shallot
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp turmeric powder
Dash of black pepper
1 tsp raw sugar
1/4 tsp fine salt
1/4 tsp seasoning/chicken stock powder
1/4 tsp low salt light soya sauce
1. Rinse rice and soak for about 15 to 30 minutes.
I added some multi grains to the white rice.
2. Add about 1 1/2 tsp of vegetable oil and 1 tsp of fried shallot into the inner pot of a rice cooker. Close the lid and turn on the rice cooking function.
3. When you start to smell the aroma of the fried shallot, or when the rice cooker switches to "Keep Warm" mode, add in garlic powder, turmeric powder and black pepper. Close the lid and turn on the "Rice Cooking" function again.
4. After about 1 minute, add soaked rice and water into the pot. Fill the water to about 1 cm above the rice.
As the pineapple chunks will release juice to the rice, so need not add as much water as you usually do when cooking rice.
5. Add sugar, salt, light soya sauce and seasoning powder to taste. Give the ingredients a good stir.
6. Drop the pineapple chunks onto the rice without stirring it. Close the lid, and start the rice cooking function.
You may add sausages, too.
7. After the rice cooker switches to "Keep Warm" function, turn off the rice cooking function, and let the rice simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, to allow the rice to fully absorb the moisture.
This is the pineapple rice after about 15 minutes of simmering.
Enjoy it with your favourite roast chicken, or pork floss :)
An auspicious rice dish for the Chinese new year feast 🍍
Rice Cooker BBQ Pork Pineapple Rice
You can serve the pineapple rice with BBQ pork slice 肉干. Just let the BBQ pork steamed over the cooked rice will do. Very simple 😁
1. Cut out BBQ pork slice into "heart" shape using a vegetable cutter. While for the remaining slice, cut it into smaller bits. Set aside.
2. Prepare and cook the pineapple rice as above mentioned.
After the rice has cooked, let the rice simmer for about 10 minutes.
3. Place the prepared BBQ pork slices and bits over the top of the cooked rice, close the lid, and let the steam softened the BBQ pork slices.
4. Serve the rice warm after about 20 minutes. Enjoy 😋
The pineapple rice went well with sweet & sour cucumber, BBQ pork/char siew, and pork floss too.