Real corn is a mild flavour ingredient. In my first attempt, I baked the cake without adding any artificial flavouring. I could barely taste the corn and the predominant flavour seemed to come from the eggs.
In my second attempt, I added rum essence to mask the overwhelming egg taste, and to bring out the mild corn flavour. The result was very satisfactory - I finally got a nice corn 🌽flavour cake 😋
I didn't use vanilla extract as I was afraid that the vanilla may steal the flavour of the cake.
Yield: One 6" round cake
Pan size: 6x3" round pan
Baking Temperature: 140°C for 25 to 30 minutes ➡ 170°C for 12 to 15 minutes
All ingredients in room temperature, otherwise stated
Using 55g Omega 3&6 eggs
25g steamed corn kernels
35g water 水
20g unsalted butter
15g condensed milk 炼奶
55g top/cake flour 低筋面粉
5g milk powder 奶粉
3 egg yolks 蛋黄
1/2 tsp rum/vanilla essence 兰姆酒/香草精
3 egg whites 蛋白
Pinch of fine salt 细盐
1. Line the base of an 6" round cake mould with parchment paper. Need not grease the side.
2. Sieve top/cake flour and milk powder into a bowl. Set aside.
3. Blend steamed corn and water in a food processor till smooth.
Collect 50g of the corn puree and add 15g of condensed milk and 20g of unsalted butter in a heat resistant bowl.
Place the bowl of corn-milk mixture in a rice cooker, and turn on the "Keep Warm" function for about 10 minutes to warm up the content. You can also heat the content over the stove or microwave oven.
After about 10 minutes.
4. Take out the warm content and pour in the sifted flour mixture from (2) immediately. Combine using a spatula into a smooth corn-milk paste.
6. In a separate, clean and grease-free mixing bowl, add a pinch of fine salt to egg whites. Beat egg white to frothy, then starts to add 45g of sugar gradually. Beat at high speed till almost stiff peak state.
Reduce the mixer speed to low at the final 1 minute. Set aside.
8. Pour (7) back to combine with the remaining meringue. Fold to combine into a smooth batter.
9. Pour the batter into the prepared 6" round cake pan. Tap the pan against the work top to remove any trapped air bubbles.
10. Bake in a preheated oven at 140° Celsius for about 25 to 30 minutes, at the lower rack.
When the cake rises to almost reaching the rim of the cake mould, increase the temperature to 170° Celsius for about 12 to 15 minutes.
11. Remove from oven and drop the cake with the pan, 3 times over a cloth. And invert the mould immediately over a wire rack to cool down for about 20 to 25 minutes.
After inverting out the cake, let the cake dry in a warm oven for about 15 minutes.
This step is optional.