I prefer butter cake which is surrounded by a ring of golden crust. Without the caramelised crust, the butter cake would not smell as nice. Therefore, I prefer to bake my butter cake in a long metal loaf pan instead of a square pan.
I adapted the recipe from the popular Mrs Ng SK's butter cake formula. I replaced the milk in the original recipe by whipping cream, and included lemon juice and golden syrup which were absent from the original recipe.
The cake tasted moist and nice. I halved the original recipe to bake a smaller cake. Although the cake tasted nice, it was still better to eat in moderation 😁
P.S. subsequent bake
I did a 20cm square cake by doubling the recipe and added some cut dried cranberries to it :)
Details at the end of this recipe.
Pan size: 25x10x6.5 cm loaf pan, narrow base
Baking temperature: 150°C for 40~45 minutes, increase to 170°C for 5 minutes
(Original recipe suggested to bake at 150°C for 50 to 60 minutes in an 8" square pan)
(Figures in brackets are original recipe quantities)
All ingredients in room temperature.
Using 55g Omega 3&6 eggs
100 (115)g unsalted butter, softened but not glossy
60 (80)g fine sugar
1/8 tsp fine salt
2 egg yolks
100g all purpose flour
2g baking powder, about 1/2 (3/4) tsp
25g whipping cream/milk
5g lemon juice
10g golden syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites
pinch of salt
20g fine sugar
1. Coat the interior of the loaf pan with butter. Sprinkle some flour at the base of the pan. Or, line the loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Cream the softened butter with 60g of fine sugar till pale and fluffy.
3. Blend in the egg yolks, one at a time.
4. Sieve all purpose flour with baking powder. Add in 1/2 of the flour mixture.
5. Mix in the whipping cream,
lemon juice and golden syrup,
as well as the vanilla extract.
Sieve in the balance flour mixture and mix well. Set aside.
6. In a clean and dry mixing bowl, add pinch of salt to the egg whites.
Beat the egg whites will frothy, and gradually add in the 20g fine sugar.
Beat the meringue till almost stiff peak.
7. Fold in the meringue to the butter batter from Step (5) in a few additions.
8. Pour the batter to the prepared loaf pan and level the top of the batter.
9. Bake at middle rack of a preheated oven at 150°C for 40~45 minutes, then increase to 170°C for 5 minutes or till an inserted cake tester came out clean.
10. Transfer the cake pan to a cooling rack and rest for about 10 minutes before inverting out the cake to cool down further.
11. Cut the cake and enjoy 😋
Baked on 26 Sep 2017
Double the above recipe quantity and added about 2 tbsp of cut dried cranberries.
Baking temperature and duration: Bake at middle rack of a preheated oven at 150°C for 50 minutes, then increase to 170°C for 5 minutes or till an inserted cake tester came out clean.