A revised recipe taken from my previous braised mee siam. The main differences are the addition of pineapple chunks and replacing part of the sugar by low GI gula melaka or palm sugar. Better flavour 😋
Yield: 3 servings
150g dried brown rice noodle/vermicelli
90g mung bean sprout
1.5 tbsp salted soya bean, 30g
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bulb red onion, chopped
1 tsp fried onion crisp, optional
1.5 tbsp nasi lemak sambal chili paste
70~75g honey pineapple, cut into chunks
30g gula melaka/palm sugar
1 tbsp raw sugar
250 ml water
6 de-shell big prawns, optional
Salt to taste, about 1/2 tsp of low-sodium salt
Juice from 3 small lime
1 small lime
1. Rinse prawns and marinate with a little salt, sugar and pepper powder. Set aside.
2. Soak rice vermicelli in water for about 20 minutes, or till it softened.
Drain away the water and cut it into shorter length. Cover and set aside.
3. Rinse the salted soya bean and mash into paste. Set aside.
4. Rinse the mung bean sprouts. Set aside.
5. Add seasoning powder or chicken stock powder, and 1 tsp of fresh milk to the eggs. Beat to combine.
Pan fried the egg mixture into an omelette. Cut into stripes after cooling down. Set aside.
6. Add about 1 tbsp of olive oil in a medium hot frying pan. When the oil is hot, add in garlic and saute till the garlic turns golden and fragrant. Add in the cut onion, cook till it slightly softened and turn translucent.
When the garlic has turned golden; and the onion has turned translucent, add in the salted soya bean paste and sambal chili paste.
When the mixture is fragrant, add in the granulated gula melaka/palm sugar, and wait for the sugar to melt.
When the mixture starts to bubbles, stir in the pineapple chunks and stir-fry till the pineapple chunks are well coated with the sauce.
Pour in water and bring to a boil.
Add in the fried onion crisps,
salt and raw sugar to taste.
Add in the lime juice just before adding the rice vermicelli.
7. When the gravy is boiling, add in the rice vermicelli and mix well.
Do not cook in high heat!
Place the cooked prawns above to warm up for about 5 minutes before serving.
8. Serve with omelette, green scallion and cut red chili. Drizzle 1/2 a lime juice over and serve :)