A simple cake to solve your last hanging banana in your kitchen. This recipe utilizes simple manual baking tools and can be ready within an hour including baking time :)
Yield: one 13cm round cake
Mini rice cooker, 1.5L, 200W
50g unsalted butter, softened
50g ripen banana
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg, room temperature
50g fine sugar
80g top/cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
30g sour cream
50g milk, room temperature
1. Grease the rice cooker inner pot with either butter or cooking oil spray.
2. Mix and loosen top flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
3. Mash banana and set aside.
4. Cream the softened butter to pale yellow using a hand whisk. This will take about 1 minute.
The softened butter is not advisable to reach glossy stage. If the outer layer of the butter becomes glossy, return it to the fridge for 5 minutes before whipping.
5. Add sugar and salt, mix till the sugar is well incorporated with the butter. This will take about 3 to 4 minutes. Scrape down the butter on the side once in a while.
7. Add in beaten egg, in about 3 additions, and blend well.
8. Add in the sour cream till well incorporated.
9. Add in 1/3 of the flour mixture from (2) into (8) and mix using the hand whisk. Add in 1/2 of the milk and blend well. Alternating between flour and milk till you finish all the ingredients.
Stop mixing once no flour can be seen. Extensive stirring will result in gluten formed and a harder cake.
10. Preheat the rice cooker by turning on the "keep warm" mode for about 3 minutes.
11. Pour the cake batter into the rice cooker. Give the pot a few jolts to get rid of trapped air and to even out the surface.
12. Put the pot into the rice cooker, close the lid and start the cake baking process by selecting the "rice cooking" mode.
After awhile, the rice cooker will switch to "keep warm" mode. Wait for 3 minutes, then switch on the rice cooking mode again.
Repeat this process for about 25 minutes, or till an inserted stick came out clean of the cake. Check the readiness of the cake when you start to smell nice butter aroma.
Avoid opening the rice cooker too often, as this will extend the baking time.
13. When the baking process is over, open the lid and invert out the cake onto a cooling rack.
14. Cut and serve when the cake has cooled down :)